BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try any jetties in South Jersey for bass lately? I'm wondering more about the nighttime bite---do the jetties hold bass at night during the summer months? If so, what are you using in terms of lures??? Any thoughts appreciated----Mike

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
They hold in the rocks all day long, but with the recent warm waters, it's very tough getting them to hit, even after dark. If you can, use black or schoolbus Bombers, jigs, or flies after dark, casting parallel to the jetty from the sand. You can fish jetties during the day in the summer, but your chances of hooking up go way down if you're targetting stripers, and the amount of non-anglers or people-who-have-no-clue-about-anything exponentially increases during the sunlight hours. However, other species might be there, like fluke, blues, and kings, if you like them. If it's a bigger jetty, like an inlet jetty, fish from on top (if feasible and legal) at all different points. Don't discount the corner where the rocks meet the dry sand, either. I've caught the bulk of my fish off jetties right in those coves, where most people ignore them and head out to the end.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Hey Hotshot... what colors? Floating, suspending or diving?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike,
I know you mentioned what type of lures and
all the guys gave you great advise.....

But from talking to some very good fishermen
the last few months..I keep hearing the same
thing over and over when it comes to fishing
jetty's especially at night this time of the
year or actually anytime,,
eels,eels eels... Put on the Korkers and sink
that eel in every possible spot....

Good Luck Out There....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fly and Nightstrikes---thanks for the tips...will be hitting up the rocks pretty soon....Hotshot---I'll leave the crystal minnows for you; I can't buy a strike with those things :D .....Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please be very quite while fishing the rocks and do not leave your motor running or you will not catch consistently. You have to be willing to get close to the rocks, if your bait does not land within 2 feet of the rocks its hard to get a bite. 30-40lb test is a must.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.