BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a spinning reel used for plugging, metals, and different lures from the surf. I would like this reel to be light but have decent drag. The rods I will use it on are the St Croix mojo surf 9' 1to 4oz and aSt Croix triumph 9' I believe 3/4 to 2.5 oz had the Stradic 5000 and the bait runner 4000d for a little versatility in mind. Any suggestions will be appreciated .

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
What's wrong with using the stradic 5000? Is it balanced on those rods?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
My Cabo 40 has treated me well over the years. Love the drag on this reel.
I also use a Penn 704 Z on a 10 foot plugging stick. It balances better than the Cabo on the 10 footer.

GSBB

·
Registered
123 Posts
penn torque bailess.. any reviews?

i wana get a sealed bailess reel for a 10 6 legend rated 3/4 to 4 first question is has anyone tried or used this reel? and what size would you recomend to match this rod?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
use the stradic 5000 and/or look into the 5000 sized spheros.
I plug with a 5000 stradic but on My 10 ft lami it doesn't balance as well as it does on my 9 ft Tica . The sheros is a great reel for the beach and a 5000 will balance out better on the your larger rod

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plug with a 5000 stradic but on My 10 ft lami it doesn't balance as well as it does on my 9 ft Tica . The sheros is a great reel for the beach and a 5000 will balance out better on the your larger rod
How do you think the spheros compares to the Stradic.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
How do you think the spheros compares to the Stradic.
The sheros is cheaper, and a little more forgiving in the sand. Also the stradic is a smaller framed reel that's why I like it better on my 9 fter. If you are gonna usee a 10 fter the sheros will just seem to balance out better, not because of weight but because of its bulk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in the market for a spinning reel used for plugging, metals, and different lures from the surf. I would like this reel to be light but have decent drag. The rods I will use it on are the St Croix mojo surf 9' 1to 4oz and aSt Croix triumph 9' I believe 3/4 to 2.5 oz had the Stradic 5000 and the bait runner 4000d for a little versatility in mind. Any suggestions will be appreciated .
I have both reels that you are considering. Clear choice would be the Stradic 5000 for plugging. The bait runner 4000 is heavier and would be better suited for eeling or live lining applications vs Stradic, IMO..;).

Tighten them up!
Cfishon

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Another consideration ,with regards to plugging is the handle on the reel I like paddle style handles when plugging, most not all 4000 series reels have too small a handle for me J.M.O.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Buy a Van Staal and you will be set. VS200 should work fine on both those rods. May cost a little more but you wont ever have to buy another reel.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

without a doubt go with a vanstaal 150 bailess
it weighs in around 13oz perfect match for any 9' stick

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
i wana get a sealed bailess reel for a 10 6 legend rated 3/4 to 4 first question is has anyone tried or used this reel? and what size would you recomend to match this rod?
If I'm not mistaken, Zeno has been using an identical setup since the fall, and he raves about it.

This is just one man's opinion, but unless you're going to be swimming with your reel, I vastly prefer the Torque spinner to any of the Van Staal reels. The VS is an old standby, but its design is decidedly dated. The Torque is a much, much better-performing reel. The VS is a 1974 Jeep, durable, rugged, and proven; the Torque is a new Corvette, with all the high-tech bells and whistles that come with modern technology.

The Torque has it all over the VS, in my opinion. The fact that the Torque is made in the USA, and is cheaper than the VS, makes the decision a no-brainer. Get a TRQ5 bailless, and you'll be set for a very, very long time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I gotta say my staal changed everything for me-I had to eat oodles and noodles for a week to afford it, but its been worth it, I'd recommend the 150 though it is 10 oz lighter than the 200 and holds plenty (over 400yds) of 30 braid-if you surf fish a lot you will find lightweight is very imortant, if you dont want to spend that much, I like my daiwa saltist 4000 as well-but less expensive means heavy-make sure you buy a manual bail on whatever you get-or else you will spend the same amount as a van staal on lures no doubt-I also thought my penn battle was good once I cut off the bail-and added some solder to counter the weight-just dont dip them!
I bet the shimano's with the bailess kit are dope too-I dont know about the torque it is the heaviest one of all!!! (over 24oz) There's no way I'd buy that when I could get a 12 oz staal for less!...and I evan grew up in H-town!!!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
the TRQ 5 bailess weighs in just under 20oz

question for you guys that fished this new penn last year
how hard and under what conditons did you fish it ?
I doubt you're going to get much response on this one, Underdogg. The bailless Torques came out late enough in the season last year that not many guys got to use them much. From what I've seen, though, this is an extremely durable reel, and yes, it is sealed and waterproof. I think it looks like a big winner for Penn (and I should say that I have no affiliation with Penn, or any other reel or tackle company).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts