Saw a nice selection at TACKLE DIRECT not
sure of price. My buddy and I both use the
Orvis Silver Label Wading Jacket. It's a great
bombproof jacket.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tops and staying dry

I have a freind from Momtauk that tells everybody who complains about geeting wet "If you want to stay dry, go bowling". The only way to keep your sleeves drt is to get a jacket with kyak type seals. They are not comfortable to me but those who can tolerate the tight feeling are dry.

Crazy bill

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The wrist seals on my AS are perfectly comfortable. I dont mind the neck seal either, it is just overkill for some situations where I am not taking anything over the head. In the market for a good top with wrist seals that is not all done up in goofy colors like my AS...the only drawback.

RyanF

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Check out Bomber Gear for a Kayak style Dry Top. I have one and love it.

GSBB

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I have the Bomber top also. Its a great top for staying dry and safe in big surf and in the kayak, but most days om the beach its over kill. Not to mention the cost is high for AquaSkins, Bomber and some others. My favorite top is my NRS (kayak top) Splash top with just neoprene closures at the wrist and neck. Best part... I got it used on Ebay for $15.

As a matter of fact, there is a Kokatat full Dry Top XL up for bid - currently at $29.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
blew out my final raptor AS top this fall. gaskets in neck and wrists are worthless and if you fish daily you end up with a season or so out of each one. at least that is my experience. not worth it at all for the money. i picked up a NRS endurance top for really cheap recently and like it a lot. it hasnt seen water but seems really good for most cases. i'll end up with a guy cotton this time around and i'm pretty sure for the money i will have it for longer than the AS. i have spent about 3 weeks researching and found at least one new top a day that seemed to have perks. good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For all of the larger gentlemen such as myself (6'-4" 300lbs) the Guy Cotton XXXL tops fit very well. Typically dry tops run small but not these. Although pricey, the top is very comfortable with ample front pocket storage room. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Galoot. Thanks for the tip about Guy Cotton , we are about the same size so I will check it out. When you lift your arms up over your head does the jacket ride up on you or is there enough extra material in the arm pit to keep the jacket in place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Galoot. Thanks for the tip about Guy Cotton , we are about the same size so I will check it out. When you lift your arms up over your head does the jacket ride up on you or is there enough extra material in the arm pit to keep the jacket in place.
I have that problem with most of my attire so I know what you mean. This top does not ride up on you. Unless your furiously waving your hands over your head to tell the guy down the beach from you that his rig drifted into your equipment, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Check out Bomber Gear for a Kayak style Dry Top. I have one and love it.

GSBB
I have the Bomber top also. Its a great top for staying dry and safe in big surf and in the kayak, but most days om the beach its over kill. Not to mention the cost is high for AquaSkins, Bomber and some others. fact, there is a Kokatat full Dry Top XL up for bid - currently at $29.
Have to also say some good words about the Bomber tops. Greg, I got a bomber top on closeout so I probably didn't pay anything near retail. Like it a lot.
Thanks for the info about the Kokatat, that's a great price for quality gear.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Ok, BLACK top with good wrist cuffs and an adjustable neck seal. No walking billboard. Something without a skirt. Under $200????

AS color schemes are the woat, but I'm seriously thinking about a bayman. At least that's the kinda deal I'm lookin for. I've got the holy chit I'm swimming top covered.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I hate myself.

Sleeves were too short on the black Guy Cotton top. Got the AS Phantom for my semi-dry top. Freaking half blue with a damn Aquaskinz patch on half the left arm.

Now I own the green raptor and the blue phantom, making me a self proclaimed toolbag.

Damn Guy Cotton and their short a$$ sleeves. Oh well, had my heart set on the the Guy Cotton, but I do like the Phantom more than the other tops I looked at.

RyanF

·
Registered
914 Posts
I got a Helley Hansen Roan Akorack (or something like that) for Christmas (I was in the same boat of not wanting to pay $200 for a surf top) They are $60 or $70, have neoprene cuffs, and are waterproof. Only have worn it once, but seems to be pretty good. It's light so you need to layer under it, but should fit the bill for what I need.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I got a Helley Hansen Roan Akorack (or something like that) for Christmas (I was in the same boat of not wanting to pay $200 for a surf top) They are $60 or $70, have neoprene cuffs, and are waterproof. Only have worn it once, but seems to be pretty good. It's light so you need to layer under it, but should fit the bill for what I need.
Yeah, too late.....

Haha

RyanF

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
For all of the larger gentlemen such as myself (6'-4" 300lbs) the Guy Cotton XXXL tops fit very well. Typically dry tops run small but not these. Although pricey, the top is very comfortable with ample front pocket storage room. Just an FYI.
Thanks for the tip..gonna check those out...what is it with the sizes on these things..I put on a XXXL at tackle direct awhile back.... didnt even get halfway on and I thought the clerk was gonna have to cut me out of the thing...funny to watch im sure

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Thanks for the tip..gonna check those out...what is it with the sizes on these things..I put on a XXXL at tackle direct awhile back.... didnt even get halfway on and I thought the clerk was gonna have to cut me out of the thing...funny to watch im sure
The Guy Cotton's were nice, and all black with no silly coloring. Sleeves were a little short though, and I thought it was pretty weak that the price skyrocketed another $30 bucks for each size increase. Once you get to the XXL you are paying like $280 or something like that

The new dry top from frogg toggs looks good but I don't know anyone that has one that can give a review. Anybody have one that can comment on it? http://www.froggtoggs.com/#wading/wading_jackets/221404/
I dont think Frogg Toggs has a true drytop (true wrist and neck seals). I dont even know if they have a semi drytop (true wrist seals and quasi neck seal). If they do, I can't find em???

They do appear to have some affordable wading jackets which alot of people wear, and I never even thought to look there. I guess every time I hear Frogg Toggs I think of that dbag Roland Martin trying to shove them down my throat, haha. Thanks for the heads up.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 22 Posts