BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in knowing opinions in regards to outboard motors vs inboard/outboard motors and why. Which is easier to maintain? Which is more dependable? Which lasts longer? Etc. Either a quick or in depth reply would be appreciated.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I had them both and my current boat has a inboard/outboard, I would perferr a outboard to a inboard/outboard motor

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I/Os in saltwater don't seam to last. Most I/Os are raw water cooled. Salt water eats away at the engine from the inside. Old exhaust risers look perfect on the outside, kill otherwise excellent running engines. Bellows and underwater seals can leak and sink the boat. The lower unit is immersed all of the time leading to corrosion and fouling problems. Saltwater in the bilge occasionally spashes the oilpan causing pan leaks> oil loss and engine siezure. Not to mention, a huge mess. And on and on...
Straight inboard or straight outboard for me.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Love straight inboards, and outboards. Not a huge fan of I/Os. Used to own and I/O, never had any major problems, but the minor problems that can be easily fixed on and Outboard, are harder on a I/O.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also have owned both. Take the outboard without a doubt. Besides the problems all ready given with the I/O your outdrive is in the water at all times even when trimmed all the way up.:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have both, the outboard is easier to winterize and maintain. I leave my boats in the water from April to November. If I could find a nice 23 to 25 foot bowrider with an outboard I would have 2 outboards.:)

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
IO IO IO its off to the mechanic you go

Seriously the outdrive needs lots of attention at a regularly scheduled intervals

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll stick with o/b's for now or ever. Had omc stringer drive [nightmare], Mercruiser Alpha, great drive but that funky 488 Merc 4cyl Chevy aluminum block with the steel 460 Lincoln head did not cut it for me. Maybe inboard next. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Maritime Matt said:
I'll stick with o/b's for now or ever. Had omc stringer drive [nightmare], Mercruiser Alpha, great drive but that funky 488 Merc 4cyl Chevy aluminum block with the steel 460 Lincoln head did not cut it for me. Maybe inboard next. Capt.Matt
Actually thats not a Chevy it's Mercs own homemade nightmare. I/O's do need alot more maintenance, but if maintained properly they seem to last a long time. I see alot of I/O's from the 80's still running today.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
sjef said:
Actually thats not a Chevy it's Mercs own homemade nightmare. I/O's do need alot more maintenance, but if maintained properly they seem to last a long time. I see alot of I/O's from the 80's still running today.
Agree .......except where I/Os need a LOT more maintenance...they CAN get away from you if you ignore them but with minimal care and reasonable use they are fine...

All we do is beat the crap out of them....drain the lower unit oil in the winter and replace zincs... then the power plant oil and filters....really no more than a 4 stroke outboard.....

Sometimes we get boats, take the outboards off, slap in a 454 with a bravo drive and off we go.....:D

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I've had all three.

Outboard( Only a good one. Yamaha or Suzuki.) I know, E-tech and all the new stuff is wonderfull but the Yami and Suzuki have a proven track record. More than 10 years. Forget FICHT and early OPTI. Forget Mariner and Force OB as well. I've had Yami, Suzuki and Evinrude (B4 Bombi).

Yami is the best. hands down.

Inboard. My Personal preference and what I own now. 5.7 MC with a Paragon trans. Bullitproff.

I/O. Had a VP 270 with a straight 6. God, what a nightmare.

Hope this helps -

Bill

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've had both and outboards are easier to maintain if you are in a slip for the season. But that's it, its all about maint. and keeping up with it. I/O's aren't as forgiving when it comes to maint. or the lack there of but I don't care what's out back as long as it gets me in safe!!

but if ya got the ching, man you can't beat the ease of the new e-tec ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My statement is based on the Mercruiser tech that serviced the boat.
It was suppose to be the power of a v-8 with the fuel economy of a 4cyl. Fuel usage was good. My SeaRay it was in was underpowered. The mechanic always said as long as you don't run it hard and don't ever run it hot it will last. What good is it?

·
Registered
921 Posts
have one of each. 85 volvo penta, no problems, simple maintenance you just can't trim it. only three static positions. change the oil and bellows and that's it. two new yams, 200 hpdi's not enough time on them to say there better than etec or 4 strokes, but much less fuel than old johhny carbs!!! however those johnson's sounded totally bad at throttle!! like the difference between one of those stupid sounding tuner cars and a dragster!!!!!!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts