BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always eaten the sashimi (just the raw tuna) but really would like to prepare sushi and try to wrap the tuna in rice in the manner of a sushi chef. A local Asian supermarket told me what rice to purchase and that I need seaweed to put between the cooked rice and tuna but other than that I am clueless. Does anybody do this themselves and if so how did you learn?

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
i would go to an asian market. i don't have the recipe with me but you can look one up online.. you can get all that you need from the asian market

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If you have an H-Mart near you, tey have an entire aisle devoted JUST to sushi items. Nori, seaweed, fillers, rice, fish, eel, etc. I was amazed the first time I went. You'll need a mat also which you actually do the rolling with. Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Basically, you prepare your rice, fish slices etc. Place the seaweed on the rolling matt and spread your rice in the center until it covers about 2/3 of the seaweed, and then add your filling. Then roll the sushi up with the mat. There are a couple of different methods of rolling, but practice and prep is the key.
Important:
For the sushi rice. Make sure you rinse the grains thoroughly, until the water runs clear through it. It takes awhile, but if you dont rinse it enough, it will be way too sticky to even work with.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i use an electric rice cooker put 2 cups rice, 1and 3/4water,1/8 cup rice vinager press on.makeing rolls is very easy once you see it.and once you do it you always will caus you'll have fresh fish.:)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Bald,I`ll check with angry bob at school about your method`s,just kidding.He already told me about your cooki`n.;)Hope to hook up one day.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Yeah we love that name for him:D.Is he that angry on the boat? I`ll send him home with some deer sausage for ya when i see him in a couple 3 weeks.Thanks.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
$20 Bucks buys you an Electric Rice Maker, the Pot has a lid, add ingrediatents, plug in and its done, - that simple. The pot lifts out and keeps Rice for a few days in Refrigerator.

Good for two or three rounds of Sushi, beats the heck out of buyiong it in store.

No Brainer for Sushi Rice, - 3lbs of Rice is $3 bucks, the recipe above is perfect!

Don't forget to look for worms - on any fish your slicing to eat raw

Captn Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
sushi rice

First of all, you need Japanese rice. My reccomendation will be Koshihikari or Akitakomachi.
Cook the rice with a peice of dried kelp on the top.
While cooking the rice, prepare the sushi vinegar. I usually use one cup of rice vinegar and third cup of sugar for 3 cup of rice. Mix the rice vinegar and sugar.
When the rice is cooked, remove the kelp lightly mix (turn) the rice. Put the rice in a large bowl and mix with the sushi vinegar. Use fan to cool down the rice and keep mixing the rice until it become nice, shiny, and cool.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts