BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the trip down yesterday and although we only had one catfish and one 30 in striper to show, the water clarity was very good and looks real promising for the coming weeks.

Started out near the barge for a few hrs with only a hit or two, so ran up river to give it a try. After 2 hrs with no hits, ran back down to try in front of the hospital. Nothing happening again so ran back up and gave the river a try for another couple hours and brother caught a cat fish and uncle caught 30 in striper both on strip of frozen herring.

Water temps were in the 45-46 range and water clarity was very good, maybe 12-18 inches visibility.

Not a great catching fish day but sure was nice to be out on the water for the day:)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the call buddddyyyy:rolleyes: . Only kidding, great that you could get out. Was this in your boat? My first day is looking like April 12th - Delaware Bay.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Saturday was tough catching. My guys managed two whiskered ones...that's it. Found 48 degree water later in the afternoon at Sandy Point, but the clarity was less than up the river. No takers there jigging.

·
Registered
303 Posts
One yellow perch and one clam caught on night crawlers.
By the barge. 3/30 around 3:00 PM

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rocco - should be good fishing by then, get all your honey dos done so you can get the pass, I know you are only allowed one per month:eek: :D We were on Will's boat, I hope to get mine back this week and plan on hitting the flats again on the 12th.

Capt Ed - we were not far from you up river, it didnt look like anything was going on Sunday. It was really strange, it was flat calm down on the flats, yet there was a pretty good breeze up river. We made the trek up river 2 different times and both times it was flat down at the barge and breezy up river, guess with the east wind it was a funnel effect up river between the hills:confused: We talked about trying the flats with lures but figured they werent hitting bait so it wasnt worth the effort. We had nice clarity around the barge so it should be turning on when the weather warms up a bit.

SIC - thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
25 boats drowning herring off Port Deposit, two of them catching. We watch some guys in a 17 footer land about 6 or 8 pretty darn good ones throughout the morning. I couldn't have been more than 50 yards away from 'em.

We are all rushing it a bit for the real fun action to begin, but it's been a looong winter. glad to be out there.

yea that wind tunnel thing was weird, much nicer day once we got out of the river.

·
Registered
57 Posts
capt. ed said:
Saturday was tough catching. My guys managed two whiskered ones...that's it. Found 48 degree water later in the afternoon at Sandy Point, but the clarity was less than up the river. No takers there jigging.
That's what happens when you use frozen herring instead of live or fresh herring. The Susky channel cats love em. The boys from Philly had no problem catching them on fresh cut herring up to 36 pounds.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Boys in philly are insane!!
Anywhere to fish from shore, on the flats, that is worth wild, and don't say the dam, not that time yet..
also any word on turkeys point??
PM me if your willing to share. Thanks

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catty said:
That's what happens when you use frozen herring instead of live or fresh herring. The Susky channel cats love em. The boys from Philly had no problem catching them on fresh cut herring up to 36 pounds.
So where did you get your fresh herring:confused: I think Capt Ed is a seasoned captain to know fresh is best....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Friday and Saturday there were no Fresh to be found. Come Sunday there was no choice but to go with the frozen or not go at all. The only folks with fresh must have caught them earlier and kept them alive.

Of course fresh is best. But see below; That's Jeff Popp with a HUGE fish caught on frozen herring, pretty much in the same spot we fished on Sunday. Muddy cold water and frozen herring......

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Good job boys, getting out there and catching something. I'm envious.

DP,

I said it before, "You Da Man!" You're already out there fishing. I haven't even got my gear dusted off and Drew just got the boat back from it's tune-up. Plus it's hockey tournament season for our kids. We wont get out there until the end of May. (Well we might sneak a day in though if the fish go nuts.)

Good luck to all this season.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I used fresh herring a few weeks ago and did great! My friend and I boated 17 in 3 hrs.

Old herring that soaked for over 20 minutes did not work except for catfish.

I truly believe the most important factor in catching is fresh, fresh herring.

I am by no means a striper fisherman, but that day, I did things many striper fisherman would die for catching 3 fish over 30lbs.

·
Banned
660 Posts
BOTTOM FEEDER said:
Boys in philly are insane!!
Anywhere to fish from shore, on the flats, that is worth wild, and don't say the dam, not that time yet..
also any word on turkeys point??
PM me if your willing to share. Thanks
Shore fishing that area is literally impossible.
Alot of woods and private land.
A boat is a must.
If you take a guide, make sure the guy has fresh herring, if not, get off the boat.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say it would be worth it up in the river or down at Turkey Point, other than that may be tough.

Flattop - good to hear things are keeping you busy:D Sneak out when the fishing gets good in a few weeks and that'll hold you over till the end of May. I'm sure you are still throwing down some cold ones in the meantime:) Good luck to you and Drew this year, this could be your year;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes its definately worth it....gotta be there at the right time and as close to the illegal border as possible....i've caught some monsters in that area and loads of them

·
Registered
271 Posts
DEEP POCKETS said:
I would say it would be worth it up in the river or down at Turkey Point, other than that may be tough.

i have not fished the turkeys point are in years. Is that are still open to fishing? i remember a boat dock, and lot of rocks. Thats about all i remember of it. It was a good 15 years ago, so my memory is not so good..:)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THE GOOCH said:
Yes its definately worth it....gotta be there at the right time and as close to the illegal border as possible....i've caught some monsters in that area and loads of them
northern or southern border, I'm guessing northern:confused:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BOTTOM FEEDER said:
DEEP POCKETS said:

i have not fished the turkeys point are in years. Is that are still open to fishing? i remember a boat dock, and lot of rocks. Thats about all i remember of it. It was a good 15 years ago, so my memory is not so good..:)
I've never fished it from land so I can't say, but I have heard of others doing so. Do a search on Turkey Point, there was a thread recently that covered how to get down to the shore line. I'd say your better bet would be in the Susky river though if I had a choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts