·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday April 5
Afternoon Saturday April 26
Sunday April 27
Saturday May 3 (last day)

Barners shoot me an email or give me a call before these spots go.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If anybody can find them ...You can...catch'em up Capt Ed...

Bruce

·
Registered
271 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
Awesome Capt. Ed! Can't wait! What kinds of baitfish do you have down there? What are the stripers primarily feeding on?
I would think the shad should start to show up soon. Although i don't think you can use shad for bait. I have caught lots of shad at connawingo dam, with HUGE stripers behind them. Whats the water temp like down there. I start to shad fish as soon as the magic 50 degrees comes in.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flats area stripers are looking for Shad and Herring, and will eat white perch as well. Shad and Herring come in waves and herring especially will hang out on the Flats for quite a while.
Bass Assassins and Big BKDs do a nice baitfish impression for us. Big plugs and poppers work too.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I can't wait man!!! Do you ever fish the larger soft plastics weightless and just finesse fish them? I grew up using 4" Fin-S soft plastics using this technique and have caught my fair share of LMB and Pickerel ;) If you don't mind Ed, I'd like to bring some of my favorite soft plastics (6 inchers) and topwater/subsurface plugs along with me on my trip (as well as my own rod and reel setup). My gear is up to your "light tackle" standards so I hope that would be ok.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bring it on Brian! I rarely fish weightless in April. Later in the summer you can catch largemouth pretty much all day long by plopping soft plastics around the grass with no weight, but I'm south by then.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Capt Ed

Where do you launch out of for the susky flats? Galena or Rock Hall? Also do you offer any open boat trips? (I'm a broke college kid:D )

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Washington College in Chestertown?
I launch at Stemmers Run, Earleville. It's ten minutes north of Galena near Cecilton. I typically don't run open boat trips, but shoot me an email. We'll see if we can't work something out. I might have another guy or two to help you fill out a trip.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hey Capt Ed - read Darrin's article in SWS this morning about bringing the cows home, congrats on the press and never heard of the "shad ditches" on the flats before. Congrats again:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not too many secrets left about the Flats is there. Nice to have an ace or two up the sleeve when things get crowded.
Thanks for the congrats and Big Thanks to Darrin.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
capt. ed said:
Bring it on Brian! I rarely fish weightless in April. Later in the summer you can catch largemouth pretty much all day long by plopping soft plastics around the grass with no weight, but I'm south by then.
Good to know Ed! Is the current just too strong (in april) for the weightless soft plastics? Are they just not in the strike zone long enough? Just wondering... Well, I'm going to try out something slightly different then to see if it works too ;) By the way, what size hooks do you think you use when rigging up your larger 7" soft plastics? 3/0? I know you usually use jigheads, but was wondering if you knew their hook sizes.

Another question Capt. Ed, with this year's new rules, will you be running charters during Susky Flats's Keeper Season: May 18 thru May 26. One fish per angler from 18 - 26 inches may be retained??? Or will you be in Del. Bay by then?

Jeenyus, if Capt. Ed does run charters between May 18-26th, I'll split the cost with ya ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with jigheads you can cast farther and keep in constant contact with your lure. You need to know where your lure is depthwise, where the bottom is, etc. I suppose you can catch weightless, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have Sunday May 18 open for the "keeper season", and that's it. Leaving that next week for the British Virgin Islands. Soon as I get back I'll be in Rock Hall the rest of the summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts