BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Mr. Dave Shaw of Galena Maryland aboard this afternoon for a quick trip to the Susquehanna Flats. Winds out of the NW at about 10, air temps mid 50s, water temp maxed at 49.5 degrees late in the day in a warm spot. Mostly 48ish all over the upper Bay today. Found a large gathering of schoolies in 7 -9 foot depths and HAMMERED them non-stop for two hours. The two of us boated/released approximately 80 small striped bass till we tired of playing with them.
All fish caught on 5" chartreuse glitter Bass Assassins on 3/8 and 1/2 jig heads. Most looked like this ...

Here's Dave with a littlun'

okay, okay, the fish were small!! But this is how it works guys; small males are the first to arrive, they are waiting on big females. easily catchable males is just the beginning of what's to come. If the weather forecast holds up, we'll get a few more degrees up in water temps and all heck will break loose. Those 80 fish days will include dozens of nice fish with the ever-present possibility of a real trophy at any given time.

Who want's a trip?! Give me a shout or an email and Let's go Fishin'!

·
Registered
233 Posts
thats what i'm talkin bout! way to hammer them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Simply wonderful!

Why didn't you guys try a fly rod for the stripers? They would have hit streamers just as good as the plastic.

This weekend just might start a banner year on the flats!!

Did you see any "fungus" on the small males?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Ed,
Where did you fish out of? I am in Alexandria VA and was wondering how far you were from there. Dying to get out. Let me know.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Great report Capt Ed. 80 stripers on artificials is awesome fishing regardless of the size. Friday we should see some bigger fish moving up with the warmer temps.

Good job and thanks for the report

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Nice catch ! Wait until Tony (dar-lynn) see's this report.Ed hope to make a trip with Tony next Spring.

Art

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
skmag, mapquest shows Alexandria 95 miles from my home.
AAAh, pics screwed up. I'll try to fix 'em later.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Nice Job.
Great report.

Pic test....

Russ

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Capt. Ed:

Will see you down there on Thurs.

Even those small schoolies are great fun if you scale down to light action rods/reels/lines or target them with fly rods.

Catch 'em up!

- Gr8ful

1 - 17 of 17 Posts