BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any reports from down the flats yet? I am headed down to Herbs this weekend to pick up some BA's and I will relay any up to date info that I get while there. We are planning on getting out there the weekend of the 4th. 18ft GW CC, You will know who we are cause all of the rods will be bent toward the water:D

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
heard tell that a couple guys got a couple. On bait I think, I'm heading down Thursday, this week. I'll post results.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
ele put a report up for those bait fisherman a few guys on saturday were out and apparently caught 17 up to 44lbs on fresh herring.. another report i saw they saw one here and there caught on bait.. 4"-6" visibility and nothing on the lures. if it doesnt rain this week may see some lure action.. forget that bait crap for catch and release fishing.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
As far as I know no one has caught anything on lures yet. Good news is there are fish around with more headed up the bay.
I'm starting up this weekend and get in to full swing the first week of April.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Gage at Harrisburg is showing a nice steady decline. Whats the clarity like Capt. ? I figured maybe on the other side from HdG. Maybe cleaner water.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
guage height is right at 16 feet which is the baseline, however;
under normal conditions it drops below 16 during electricity generation. For the past several days it gets down to 16 with the use of flood gates. When the gates close it has crept back up to 18 or 19 feet. Each time it has crept up a little less and should be back to 16 and below within a couple days.

Water clarity out on the Flats is still poor, and temps are still low. Cleanest water appears to be right at the southern boundary, but it's not really fishable with lures. The creeks appear to be running cleaner, but we still have several days before we'll see real improvements in the C & R area.

I will poke around some on Saturday and am running a trip on Sunday. Reports forthcoming of course.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll see you boys on the 5th...

Old school trihaul "Quick Silver II" on the side. I'll be the nut on the bow with the flyrod. Tying big stuff last night.

I just looked at the tides for that weekend- new moon, spring tides, Highs around 9am - Can't wait!!!

Ed and MMatt- what's your thoughts on how the flats warm? As I'm looking at the coming tide in the early morning hours I'm thinking that the water will be colder and it may need to bake awhile- afternoon bite maybe on the last of the outgoing? Would love you here your oppinions.
Figure it all depends on the rain and the river but all else being equal...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If I don't have to travel next week on business, I'm going to give it a go on Tuesday. Can't start soon enough for me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The Susky runs cold early on. Melt and run-off from upstate PA and even NY keeps it cool until we get several nice warms periods. The mainstem of the bay is warmer than upriver. Early on of course you get the warmest temps late in the afternoon. shallow water warms quicker, especially over sandy bottom (Sandy Point) or rocky shorelines (Locust Point, Turkey, Rocky and Red Points). The eastern side will probably be warmer then the mouth of the Susky. All that will gradually change as average air temps and water temps increase. Late in April early morning is best, regardless of tide for the most part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fished 3/25/08
Water On Flats Muddy
Water Temp 43-44
Could Not Find Fresh Herring
Fished Wind Against Currant (bad)
The Water Comming Out Of The N-e River Is Clean & A Little Warmer
Marked Lots Of Fish Off Of The Hospital In The Deeper Water

Need Better Water For Lures
If You Have Fresh You Will Catch!!