BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent saturday morning fishing for shad at the dam and in the susky park. I caught one shad, and saw 2 others landed. Only 3 guys were fishing the dam. Most guys were in the park. Talking to the locals, the season is still a few weeks away.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sebastian,,,

I was down at the mouth of Deer Creek where it dumps into the Susky,, I saw a guy land two mud shad. He said that the mud shad hang around all winter,, the hickories and Americans have not shown up yet,,, I was down there around 1:00 - 4:00,, if you saw a guy with an Eagles hat,, that was me! The locals are right,, things should heat up as soon as the water warms up a few more degrees,, today it was 44 degrees.

See you on the river! Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's what you get for going without Paul and me!! I'll be going down on Tues. with Jim and will let you know how we did. Maybe by Fri. when we go things will be better.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sebastian, Emailed you before I read your post.Still a little slow.What where water temps? Like Mike said maybe by Friday things will pick up.Stay in touch and thanks for the report.

P.S. At least it wasn't snowing. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vz- I left the mouth of deer creek around 11:30 am. we just missed each other. I've never heard of a mud shad before. The shad I caught was lethargic - it was like reeling in a skate.

Paul- Water was COLD. I didn't bring a thermometer - where would a chemistry teacher get one of those??

Genius- I know you're retired, but a trip down on tuesday seems like a waste of time. Guys at the mouth of deer creek caught a few huge carp. Bring some dough down, and catch 'em up.

One bit of advice I picked up from the locals - they use chartreusse or white mister twisters on a 1/8 oz jig head and they say they're just as good as the shad darts. It might be a little easier on the wallet than feeding all those spoons and darts to the rocks below the dam.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Guys,, fished the Susquehanna at Deer creek again on Sunday afternoon,, caught my first Hickory Shad for 2004 on a shad dart,,, also hooked up with 2 carp on shad darts!!! Still a little chilly in the water, but very nice to hook up with a migrating shad!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
jc,,

Have not heard of much happening up near the DAM yet. I am just hanging near the mouth of Deer Creek until they start heading up the creek,, then I switch over to the Fly rod and have fun up near the pumping station,,, much less crowded on the Fly scene,, ususally all Hickories up there,, Americans usually hang out in the river. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.