BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend yesterday and we are kicking around the idea of hitting the flats in a week or so if it warms up a bit. Does anybody know a good guide or how/where to go to get in on the Spring cow parade down there?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mike Benjamin in Nort East Md At Herbs Tackle.
Sorry I don't have a number , but he knows the area better then anyone I know. By the end of March it should be good fishing if the dams gates are not all open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Capt.Mike is the best flats guide,but I think he is booked already for the season,plenty of other real good guy's...walleye Pete,Richie Gaines,Tom Hughs,Gary Neitzy,Brady Bounds,the list go's on...

The flats really aren't that hard to fish,with a good chart,the right lures/bait and a couple trips under your belt,if the fish are there you will find some,you only need to fish into about 3 ft of water with alot of fishing in the 15-6 ft range along the channel's edges,later into the season when and if the topwater bite turns thats the best flats fishing,if you want to do it on your own I can supply you with alot more info.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Capt.Mike is the best flats guide,but I think he is booked already for the season,plenty of other real good guy's...walleye Pete,Richie Gaines,Tom Hughs,Gary Neitzy,Brady Bounds,the list go's on...

The flats really aren't that hard to fish,with a good chart,the right lures/bait and a couple trips under your belt,if the fish are there you will find some,you only need to fish into about 3 ft of water with alot of fishing in the 15-6 ft range along the channel's edges,later into the season when and if the topwater bite turns thats the best flats fishing,if you want to do it on your own I can supply you with alot more info.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much... will be calling very soon to try and hook an available date... really appreciate it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
FM Tuna...
Talked to Capt. Mike Today...He is booked solid...He may be able to steer you to someone else...

Bruce

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have a boat try it out yourself! Best times to fish are the early morning flooding tides. A collection of 7" bass assassins are all you need to catch some really nice fish. Otherwise wildeyes work well and big rattletraps. For a good message board with flats conditions and info try www.tidalfish.com. And go to the Original Chesapeake Board. Thats were the flats pros hide!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
where is a good place to launch a boat there, and how about a general area to fish. My sister has a house on the Elk River and had always heard about the flats but never fished them. Is near Turkey point a good place to fish?

·
Registered
303 Posts
no real need for a guide....have been fishing the flats all of my life...not much too it....just like anywhere else...find structure and/or bait...neither is too hard to find...fish early or late in the day...preferably during the week. Bass Assasin's are my #1 artificial with the cool water temps this time of year or catch your own live bait while you are there (usually can load up on herring without much effort)...once the water temp hits 50 break out the top water plugs...I believe it is some of the best light tackle fishing to be found anywhere.

good luck.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Since my original post has disappeared, I'll ask again.
Is it possible to fish the Flats from the shore?
I don't have a boat.
Is it worth it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by ReadyJettyGo:
Since my original post has disappeared, I'll ask again.
Is it possible to fish the Flats from the shore?
I don't have a boat.
Is it worth it?
Yes it is worth it but but you have to have climbing skills the banks are very high and can be dangerous to get up and down ,but well worth the effort if the bite is on .Bloodworms seem to work the best from shore or a live lned perch has worked for me from the shoreline . If you look at the chart posted the area around the two yellow markers has been a great spot to cast out towards the channel edge.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by bluefishbones:
Aqua thanks for the chart. now I need to figure which area is the best.
The 2 areas I like to fish from a boat have been the southern line where the 2 channels come together and the other is at the north end near the Furnace Bay channel off of Perry Point.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bluefishbones

There is a nice ramp in Elk Neck State Park, although it draws a big crowd on nice days. A very short run from the ramp will put you at Turkey Point which is a good place to start your search and is also the southern boundary of the C&R area. Don't be afraid to move around until you find fish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is a post which I placed on another board in March...Hope it helps someone

Hello All,

Below is a list of the marinas that took part in providing temporary slips last year during the 2003 C&R season on the Flat's. You will need to call and make your own arrangements, Confirm price and availability...

Slips:

Anchor Marine
36 Iroquois Dr.
North East, Md. 410-287-6000
slips/fuel/ramp (check for fee)
Buoy 17 North East River

Bay Boat Works
145 Hances Point Rd.
North East, Md. 410-287-8113
slips/ramp (fee ???)
Buoy 12 North East River

Charlestown Marina
Charlestown, Md. 410-287-8125
slips/fuel/free public ramp next to marina/free trailer parking/local food walking distance
$50 per week
$150 per month
$200 for C&R season
Buoy 12 North East River

Jackson Marine Sales
Hances Point Rd
North East, Md. 410-287-9400 (Gary Parker)
Slips/fuel/free trailer parking
Buoy 10 North East River

Lee's Marina
726 Water St.
Charlestown, Md. 410-287-5100
slips/free public ramp up the street/free trailer parking/food, walking distance
Buoy 14 North East River

Pat's Marina
724 Water St.
Charlestown, Md. 410-287-5298
slips/food, walking distance/free trailer parking
Buoy 14 North East River

I had also checked with Tome's Landing Marina in Port Deposit, Md. They advised me that they were full.

Food:

In the area, there are several places to eat, both breakfest and dinners. Local pub's are in the area also. The most popular eating place I found was the Waffel House on Rt. 40 and Rt 272, in the shopping center. Several TF'ers took advantage of their services before heading out for the AM bite.

Rooms;

The Crystal Inn
I-95 Exit 100 and on Rt 272 South 1/2 mile.
Reservation # 800-631-3803
Roy Arnold, Gen Manager
ID yourself as a TF member...
Special Room rates... Was $129 per night...For TF people $68 per night. This includes continental breakfest in the AM...Ample free parking...Fuel at truck stop...Restraraunt at truck stop...This place is kept nice and clean.

Holiday Inn Express...
Said they couldn't match CI's prices...Several call to them..No response...

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to any of these establishments, except that I am slipped at Charlestown Marina. I posted this as a service to TF'ers who might want to come up/down and enjoy the Flat's. You can post and ask which place offered the better services and was more convienent to use...

All these marinas are minutes from the Flat's...Good water...

Hope this help those that are thinking of comming up this year.

Tight Lines and Calm sea's to all...My best to you...
See ya out there...

cisco651
North East, Md

http://www.cecilcountyhomes.net

PS: as of today 3/3/04 there are over 15 TF'ers slipping at Charlestown Marina. Can't say for other Marinas...

[ edited 1 time(s), last at 3-Mar-2004 5:15:31 PM ] My best to you...
See ya out there...

cisco651
North East, Md

http://www.cecilcountyhomes.net

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone interested in this..will supply a day of fishing on the Susky flats on my boat,with all bait,tackle,and lures needed for up to 3 people. Also will show the area in detail so you can return with your boat and fish on your own.

In return, would like a trip to the Cape May rip's and a lesson on bunker chunking more so just some good locations on the NJ side,I fish the De side alot but don't get over to the NJ side much,would be willing to trailer my boat to Cape May if needed.

[ 03-20-2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Gotboost ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.