BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?ve always heard great things about fishing the Susquehanna flats but I?ve never been there. Anyone have any advice on how to fish this area without a power boat. I have access to a kayak if that works.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's a huge area, but if the weathers decent it can be done in a Kayak,,,, I guess. Right now we are getting and expecting more rain. This area is directly influenced from all of the rain up through NY. Mostly with the clarity of the water, and the amount of debris, but also water temps. However, there will be some fish down here ., no doubt. Watch the weather, and hope you are fit to paddle

·
Registered
279 Posts
I saw reports last year of kayakers getting pulled around in 3' of water by a big cow,,,,pick a nice day....a go get a biggun

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words. Any advice on where to put in so the paddle isn?t to far?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Id use caution and fish as early as possible. From what I have heard the boat traffic picks up by 10am including large commercial boats and barges etc moving throuh.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like big water, would I be better off kayaking out the back of IBSP?

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's plenty of places to put in. Elk Neck State Park has nice ramps. There's a nice ramp in Charlestown that offers more protected water. We did really well last year in front of the VA Hospital in Perryville. 30 in two days, most over 30", a couple of 45's". Heading back Tuesday through next Friday.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Fishin, thanks for the post. I know where Elk Neck State park is, they sell t-shirts their with the state bird on it .. a mosquito. I?ve been to Perryville a lot on business, next time I?m down I?ll look for a place to put in. Good luck while you?re out on the water. And thanks for the link.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bar hopper,
I can appriciate your enthusiasm for the Kayak, but do me a favor......don't do it. It can be very nasty out there. You have three diferent rivers converging into what is called the flats. If you have a N or NE blow, you can expect 2-3 foot close chop. There are day's when a kayak would be a good choice, but this time of year isnt it. I run a 25 foot Sea Pro Walk ARound and get beat up a little from time to time.

As far as the fishing goes, You can fish from shore in several locations and do quit well with cut bait or bloodworms. But to catch the numbers you'll need to be out in a boat. I run charters for the flats so give me a call if you want to set something up or try and call for me on the radio if you get out there. I monitor 16 and 68. I'd be out there today, but the guy's canclled the party this morning cus they didnt want to be WET AND COLD!!!!!!!

WHAT DO THEY THINK THIS IS????? THE KEYS???!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capt Corby, thanks for the good advice. Now that you put it that way I can imagine it getting a bit snotty out there and even though the insurance is paid I?m sure my family would like me back in one piece. How can I get more info on a charter? I have a few fishing buds that I could get together that could brave the cold and wet. We do it on the beach why not on a boat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Going around Turkey Point this morning looked like rounding Cape Horn!!! SHE WAS BLOWIN!!!

Fished the Sandy pt side to get outa the wind best we could but only one fish all day. Saw only two other boats all day. Threw lures, rattle trap with blue back, silver body did the trick...Cut bait and bloods are going out with me next time.

Water temp was reading 51 degrees along Sandy pt...water didnt look that bad for all the wind.

Get em next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts