BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone planning on making the trip to the Susquehanna Flats for the spring C&R season? The water looked pretty good, but the temps are still on the low side 43-46 (+/-)

The Wasteman

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Wasteman, Welcome. There are a few guys that fly fish, that try there. Last year was so good for them with the rain and water quaility. I think a few might give it another try this year. Talked to a fisherman at the show who fishes there regularly. He told me to call him up and he would let me know how it was. He said it should be starting up soon. I hope to get atleast one trip there this year.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Hey,wasteman. I know you have to fish raystown lake since you are from central pa. I just booked a cabin near raystown lake at the end of April. I caught a bunch of stripers last year at the same time last year.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Wasteman Welcome to the barn & I hope you enjoy your stay. I did the flats once, several years ago. Pretty long trip for me. I bowhunt & flintlock in Franklin County. You any where near there? Again welcome. Ron

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Funny, I just posted a "Who do I call" thread on the SB forum so Craig & I coulkd set something up there in a couple weeks... anybody know a good fly guide there?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, we'll be fishing it every weekend until the end of the season. Last year was tough for fly fishers due to the heavy snow pack and spring rains that didn't quit until the 4th of July ;) and left the Flats a lovely murky chocolate color for most of the season.

This year is shaping up nicely. The dam was open all last week with several days of "all gates open" which should flush out a lot of the mud and debris. The water is still cold (typical for this time of year) and needs a little more sun (like today) to get above 48 degrees!

We will be out soon!

[ 03-15-2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Ladyfish ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Esox 1, I've camped Raystown once, but the NJ shore though far is actually closer. There are some big fish up there though, might have to try it again!

fmTuna, if you go to www.tidalfish.com there are a few good guides represented there, I imagine most are booked. Mike from Herbs bait and tackle may be the best, but again there are quite a few very good ones around.

Hello Sparse, it's me---Johnny G, I had to re-register to be able to post, something screwy happened with my original sign on name/account. Hopefully the new name might generate some business, then I can write off the computer! I plan on hitting the flats soon, though my success rate has not been real good, the Shad on the otherhand are a blast. Let me know if you and John or just yourself would like to take a follow up trip to our skunking last year.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Johnny Hello again & glad to hear from you. John & I were just talking about that. Pretty busy, but we'll see. Hope you can get down here also. Ron

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Yeah,wasteman the pa state record striper was taken out of there by sparky price - 53lb. He is a guide on Raystown. I went out with him one day but did not catch anything. But from talking to him and another guide I was able to find out how to catch the stripers on Raystown. It is not easy but it is worth the drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts