BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about trying my luck on the flats this spring anyone have any info? Best time to go, which boat ramp has the easiest access, any imput would be appriciated thanks Jay

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
jvc,
i fish the flats every spring. it's a hit or miss thing. send me a b-mail maybe we can trade info on some locations

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have not fished there but I understand that the area is very succeptable to muddy water from the Susky River if there is much rainfall in the Spring. There are pretty tight regulations about open and closed seasons that you need to know about too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
jvc
Northeast Maryland is probably the easiest access point. Puts you into the flats right away. Mud from Conowingo during wet winters and springs can get really ugly. Just read somewhere about decreased oxygen levels on the flats and the impact on fish. I would recommend getting a guide. Brady Bounds is the best in my opinion. Winds out of the west and northwest can get the flats pretty choppy. Got really beat up out there one day in a 19' Carolina Skiff J hull. Good luck the fishing can be absolutely phenomenal. Especially for fly-fishing.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I fish the flats every year and first thing watch the weather, as others have said it does get muddy after a couple of days of rain.

I put in at Charlestown its a little bit of a run to the flats but the ramp is nice and not crowded.

Do not waste your time on the weekend if you're going to use a fly rod too much boat traffic where the fish tend to be.

Don't go until April, its just a waste of time some fish are there but are sluggish.

The season runs until May 3rd I think but not sure because there is a clause about extending the season if the water temp stays below I think it was 55.

Herbs B&T in Northeast Md is having a get together at 10:00 at there shop going over lures, flies and a big BS session on Saturday.

Check out Tidalfish.com the Chesapeake board there will be good reports on the area.

·
Registered
820 Posts
jvc,
Are you going to yak or take a boat? I have been wanting to go with someone on my yak, but haven't had much luck in the past years finding someone. Let me know if you are planning on paddeling- I'd be interested in joining you.
Take care,
Brent

·
Registered
789 Posts
I use the ramp in Elk Neck State Park. It is a nice ramp with a short run to the flats. Nice weather weekends can be crowded. As noted above, tune into tidalfish.com for water conditions. If you go on the weekend, evenings tend to be a bit less crowded than the rest of the day. You need to move around cautiously. The water gets real shallow in spots and high flows in the Susky can wash all types of debris onto the flats. April tends to be the best month. If you find fish willing to blast a popper, you will be hooked for life.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the info, keep it coming. Plan on trailering a flats boat down and pole around for a while and see if we can find some action. let me know if you guys hear anything or when the fish start to arrive. thanks again. Jay

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
btw, if its a bluebird day, don't go. its a waste of time. seems if its a little snotty, and overcast the fishing is better. since there hasn't been alot of snow this winter, there isn't much brown water and trash coming out of the dam, and with this warm spell, things may start early(hickory shad are being caught in deer creek already, blueback herring can't be far behind, and we all know how much rockfish love bb herring!!!)stemmers run is a good ramp too, end of grove neck rd(yahoo maps) $10 on the honor system and you can use it. tidalfish is good for a general idea of finding out when the bite is on, but if you aren't a subscriber, those guys will treat you like a red-headed stepchild and clam up like nobodys business! fish BIG flies!!! big noisy poppers, something with a BIG body profile(i.e. herring, shad)did i mention your flies should be BIG??? if all else fails, herbs in Northeast usually has fresh herring, or you can bring your own,frsher the better. some of my best spots are...HA! not gonna give away all my secrets!!!be willing to trade a trip, though....
if you come with me, bring your foul weather gear, fish out of a 17' carolina skiff on the flats, sometimes it'll get ya where the deep v's can't, but it happens to be where the fish are!!! thereare places out there with 1' or less depth, be careful if you go, all kidding aside, you can run aground very easy.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
ff,
it's not a full blown run yet...maybe a twenty fish day proposition right now, all hickories, no americans yet. haven't seen any bb herring yet either, but am going to a spot near millington on sunday, hopefully w/ this weather change, they'll be there. i expect the shad run to break wide open soon too, as long as there's no heavy rain locally or in the susky watershed in pa or ny to turn the water brown...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hey guys, I will begin regular updates on the Striped Bass forum later this week concerning the Susky Flats. Feel free to shoot me an email with any additional questions about what's going on here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The best time to go will probably be April 15th to May 3rd. You can't fish past Turkey point.
I fly fishing, i've had great luck using nothing more than a standard clouser pattern, with chartruece over white the best color. I use Orvis depth charge lines to hit the bottom, and if they are on the surface, use a clear intermediate. Info about the depth is right. Have a map and follow the channels, or get the chip for the GPS.
I usually put in in Havre de Grace, although that can get pretty crowded on the weekends.
Rich Borneman is also a very good guide.
Good luck, hope to see you out there next month.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Coastie, I guess that depends on what you're willing to go through! Most of the good fishin is not real close to the ramp(s) or launch area in the case of a yak. If you don't mind paddling aways from your launch I suppose its doable. Do not try it on weekend, too much boat traffic for yaks IMHO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
"Good spot for yaks?"

you bet!! the flats are only 3' deep with the edges going up to 9'. Yaks are way better than boats in this skinny water. Even chest waders are a wonderful way to catch a lot of stripers with the long rod.

A fly rod is the only way to go! Any streamer, clouser, or even a plastic fin-s with lead eyes.

The key is "clean water" just like the bay and ocean.

When the water is brown, from all the runoff and pollution, you'll only catch skates and sharks and only with live bait!! This is the same with the Susky, big D, or even the ocean.

All the fish you will catch will be in less than 5' of water, so a invis intermediate sink tip will work perfect.

yak on, longrodder, yak on!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Hi JVC, The flats are great for fly rodders,remember,big flys big fish. You will hammer them on chartruese and white clousers. If you want to wack a big one you need to get deep (350 grain head). You will also need to throw big(6inch minimum) deceivers, snake flys and try bozo baits (8-10 inches)all white, white and chartruese. Remember you are trying to immitate shad, herring etc. As far as ramps go, I use the municipal ramp in Havre de Grace its fine. If you're running a prop boat be carefull. Get a chart and stay in the channel till you get to the flats and learn your way around. Try Sandy point, rocky point and look for other anglers there will be plenty of them. Be courteous, don't blast up on anybody. When you get your Maryland bay sport license look at were the catch and release areas are and obey. You can get a license on line. Just Google Maryland fishing licenses and follow instructions. I have found that a short 6 ft. leader is best so your fly stays close to the bottom. These fish are not spooked by a leader or the lack there of! Honestly if you do it right you can have a 40-50 fish day. Oh yea take a small rod as well maybe a 6-7 wt. in case you can only locate smaller bass. Good luck! YANK

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
any of you fly-guys get down here yet? I see several long rod whippers out there catchin in my travels lately. Fish are getting bigger as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts