BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had 48 for a low and up to almost 50 in spots.
but thats a rapid rise of 10 degrees from just a few day before. Gotta give the fish a chance to catch up to the temp change. some little'uns caught so far. any day now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was wondering if it's possible to fish the flats from shore near Perry Point? If so any good spots? Also is there a small boat rental near Perry Point? I want to take my 10 yr old and father who are itching to go stiper fishing.
I heard the reports are good from the flats

Thanx

·
Registered
483 Posts
"I was wondering if it's possible to fish the flats from shore"

me too!! anyone ever fish wading near the flats? I know everyone wants to promote the charters and party boats, but someone must shorefish or use chest waders for stripers in the upper Chesapeake.

I was going to scout the area this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Working Class Hero

·
Registered
715 Posts
Turkey Point in Elk Neck State Park at the south end of 272.
Head down 272 off route 40 or I-95 and stop at Herb's Tackle Shop in North East on the right side for advice on fishing from the shore at Turkey Point.
When fishing Turkey Point remember there are rude and ignorant people everywhere. Don't let 'em ruin your day.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Other than private property, Elk Neck is your best bet. I do not see anyone wading ever, but do always see the banks lined up within the park.
Go to Herbs, they can help you out with additional info, gear, bait...whatever you need.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks so much, Barners. This is truly a wonderful web site.
Striper experts sharing knowledge, it doesn't get any better.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Try the Behind the VA Hospital in Perryville MD,I have caught a lot of Stripers and Bass just offshore in my Bassboat there.A easy cast from shore.Its actually between the VA Hospital and the Mouth of Furnace Bay.There are some fishing piers back there too. :D Most of it is Rattletrap action,1/2 oz-1 oz Chrome Blue Back,Good Luck HRL :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't forget, you need a license to fish except at the North East Park, Charlestown pier and Tidings Park in Harve de Grace.These areas were created with federal money and don't require a Md license.

Water temps on Monday at 2pm were 57* on the top and 50* at Sandy Point. 8 fish under 18" caught on BA's, outgoing tide. Water was clean with flat seas. Only seen 6 boats out all day. Not quite time yet...soon....

Bruce

[ 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: cisco651 ]

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by cisco651:
Don't forget, you need a license to fish except at the North East Park, Charlestown pier and Tidings Park in Harve de Grace.These areas were created with federal money and don't require a Md license.

Water temps on Monday at 2pm were 57* on the top and 50* at Sandy Point. 8 fish under 18" caught on BA's, outgoing tide. Water was clean with flat seas. Only seen 6 boats out all day. Not quite time yet...soon....

Bruce
Thanks for the report Bruce, with those water temps it won't be long now
Keep us posted on the action :cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
3-17-2006
Report from 3 boats...
Highest water temp found was 50.7* stiff winds and 1' chop. Clean water except at Sandy Point. No fish caught although fish were observed on finders.

Seems cold snap has had it's effect on the Flat's...

Note: Watch the wind and tide conditions. We have been turning mud in spots where we can normally run. The moon and winds are changing things a bit...pushing the water out and the Conowingo dam isn't running much water...use caution...

Bruce

[ 03-17-2006, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: cisco651 ]

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks Bruce, wait till the wind turns around to to the south for a few days and then it should be game on as long as the water clarity holds up. Always best to use caution down there especially at low tide and good point about the wind direction and lower water flows from the dam.

Any update if they are still considering extending the C&R season depending on the water temps?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Deep,
As a point of information, if a good solid rain/snow event should happen up North (Penna) and we got a runoff or melt, It takes 2 days for the water to get from Harrisburg to the Conowingo dam. In looking at the forcast for the next few days, I don't see any event that would affect the flat's.

The water quality has been good all winter long with an occasional mud run, but otherwise it's beautiful. Crisp clean bluish green water with an occasional mud tint as the water crosses the flat's.

I'm no expert by far on the flat's but this is the best I've seen in some years. It's up to the weather god's now and let's pray for a season to remember.

On another note, I'm looking forward hooking up with Capt. Adam for a spring run this year. I have the utmost respect for him in his ability. I may even bring my Robalo down for a while and try to learn the "BAY" way.

If by chance any of you Barners get to the flat's this season, I would consider it an honor to help where I could...

Tight Lines
Bruce

PS: I understand that the water temp were going to be taken at Turkey Point and the mouth of the Susky River somewhere. If the temps were 65* or better the season would end. This is the last info I have heard. You may want to check my report for accuracy

Bruce

[ 03-17-2006, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: cisco651 ]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Cisco is correct. This is the most promising season water-quality wise in about 4 years or so.
I can't remember so little ran/snow going into April ever really. Any theory anyones ever had points to a banner Flats season, as these spawners look to get above the "salt line" to do their thing. The less fresh water pouring down the more of them will come on up north to thier prefered spawing grounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.