BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see if I could catch any perch. Knew the lake was deep, but geez. Almost immediately after the ramp I was in 20+ foot of water. Deepest spot I marked was 48'. Here's the weird thing. I do not use the fish symbols on my fish finder as they are not very accurate. I didn't mark a single fish all over the lake, except when I went to the fish symbols I marked a bunch of white ones all bunched up pretty much IN the bottom. This is typical or the fishfinder misreading structure as fish. Anyways, fished it with gulp bloodworms and no takers (not a nibble). Structure in the lake seems to be almost non-existant in areas deeper than 8'. You guys think the fish are just so far embedded in the bottom they are not showing up as fish on the finder? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What type of fishfinder do you have?

If it's anything but a Lowrance or Eagle it will not mark fish very well. Fish come up as blobs and dots on the screen. You can't think of them in fish shape or even arches. You have to remember it's a sonar and not a TV.

Most fish will be near the bottom at this time of year. Their metabolism is slow and they don't move as much as other times of year. Often they will be balancing with their fins on the bottom.

Structure = Depth Change

Cover = piece of non-bottom material

Which were you trying to mark? In most sand pit lakes you're looking for structure more so than cover. Fish hang around the depth changes because they're different from the rest of the lake. If there's no cover they seek out places where they can escape danger easily yet still be close to their food sources.

Perch in lakes eat mostly grass shrimp, insect larvae, and small minnows. Bloodworms are more a saltwater/brackish type thing. Gulp! is also supposedly less effective in colder water temps. The density of the water prevents the scent from dispersing as widely as it would in warmer water.

As another mentioned try using a crappie tube on a 1/16oz jighead or even a small kastmaster jigging spoon 1/12oz. Look for those transition areas and fish them slow and methodically.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FF worked great this fall

The ff is a piranhamax 220. I did leave the yak out in the snow storm with everything covered. Marking fish in the spring came up as small dots, smaller fish as lines, and thr bigger fish came up as arches. The FF reads structre pretty well for how cheap it is. (rocks,stumpd, plants)

When I canged it to the fish symbol i was markin a occasional rogue fisj sr 8' with a 30'+ depth. There were soe spots I wasn't able to scout because I didn't have enough time. If anyone can point me in the general direction of some perch it. I just wanna make sure this thing is working correctly.

As for the bait, I went moreso to scout than to fish. Blackwater is closed on Sundays and the girls plsce dkdnt answer. I don't fish for perch without minnies. Time to setup my bait tank. Thanks for any help guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The ff is a piranhamax 220. The FF reads structre pretty well for how cheap it is. (rocks,stumpd, plants)

When I canged it to the fish symbol i was markin a occasional rogue fisj sr 8' with a 30'+ depth. There were soe spots I wasn't able to scout because I didn't have enough time. If anyone can point me in the general direction of some perch it. I just wanna make sure this thing is working correctly.
Being a former Piranhamax owner I can tell you mine never marked fish properly. A bump on the bottom or a cloud of blah was the best I could ask for. It's really best for showing bottom contour and depth changes vs actually finding fish. It's a depthfinder rather than a fish finder.

Structure = depth change

Cover = rocks stumps plants

Sadly the fish symbol mode is a joke. It's there to make people believe it's working and sell more fish finders. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.