BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
72 degrees when I left dock at 7am and we found fish right away
Ended up with 22 trout, 18 Jacks 2Pompano and 1 Permit
All fish were small 16-20" but made for an entertaining morning until the winds picked up

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bucktail,
Sweet report, glad to hear your gettin on the fish down there. We on the other hand caught about 4 inches of snow up here. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
bucktail whale creek frozen solid,the duck hunters couldn't use the slip.but a herd gunshot blast all day,what a life fish sleep fish,go get em

·
Registered
362 Posts
After taking a day to get over the envy from your report ;) I have a few questions for you...I'm not looking to steal your secret fishin hole, but I am tentatively planning a trip to Flamingo next February. Are you fishing on your own or with a guide? I fished with a guide my last time down, and I was thinking of taking the challenge myself next trip. Thanks for any info or advice!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SEA-MONKEY----I started with a guide just to get a feel ,but since first trip have been renting a boat and travelling into the Bays and creeks between Naples and Marco Is.
using 1/4 oz brown or motor oil jigs tipped with fresh shrimp.
Water little too cool for snook at the moment but as soon as I see water temp get close to 70 I intend to work on snook as they are almost like catching stripers
casting into magroves along banks or on shell beds seems to be the best spots at this time.
I intend to begin working inlet mid Feb for the expected Spanish Mackeral run.
I haven't encountered any big fish but managing to keep line tight

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bucktail! My initial plan is to bring my boat with me. I have a 1997 16 foot Wellcraft. It is kind of built like a flats boat, and I do pretty well with it in the back bays up here. On my last trip to Florida, I saw several of them out on Florida Bay around Flamingo, all tricked out with poling platforms, elevated casting platforms on the bow, and one even had those Lenco trim-tab electric motors.

From what I have read, there should be some good size tarpon around in mid to late February. I hope to target them a little bit when I go. Also, while some call them "just jacks", I think a school of maurauding jack crevalle looked like fun on TV. Anyway, thanks again, and maybe I'll see you out there next year???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bucktail you got it made . Here is what I started my coloumn with this week , Buried deep in the bowels of winter Sunny and I endure yet another week of winter . IT is geting to be a long winter . Hey Bucktail I got a friend of mine runing around in Marco . he is a cook and fishes most mornings . He has a Kayak and a black pickup with a cap if you ever run in to him his name is Dave . Hes been getting specks . Told me he has anew spot for Tarpan .Never bad fishing only bad company Steven and Sunny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats real good fishing down there Willy,but I really miss fishing the b/b of Strathmere right now!Good luck with all you do.See you in the spring! E FISHON C

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hey Bucktail Willie,

I'll be in Naples from March 27-April 3
If your looking for a fishing partner send me an e-mail.
I will certainly help with exspenses.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bucktail Willy thaks for the encouraging news.Will be fishing Swaunie river to Perry Fla. end of march with family and friends who live there.They use an airboat to get to the redfish.Enjoy reading your reports and can't wait to get there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts