BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What causes it? I can tow my boat up to 50 with no problems I go over 50 and it will sway side to side any comments?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Joey O has it right.
You need 7-10% of the total weight (boat and trailer) on the tongue.
Otherwise it is a snake.
If you have the type of trailer that do not have the axle assy permently attached, then you can loosen the ubolts and move the axle rearward 6 " at a time and that should do the trick.
If not then another 6" and guarantee that will solve it

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Your trailer operating instructions and truck probably say not to exceed 50 mph. Wind turbulence will also add to the problem in addition to what's stated by the others already.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a sway problem with my pop up camper for a few years. I checked the tongue weight a few times and it was where it should be but it continued to sway. Turned out to be the hitch ball was mounted to high. I switch to an 8" drop hitch mount and the sway disappeared.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Fish hawk said:
I had a sway problem with my pop up camper for a few years. I checked the tongue weight a few times and it was where it should be but it continued to sway. Turned out to be the hitch ball was mounted to high. I switch to an 8" drop hitch mount and the sway disappeared.
Yep, that's the first thing to check is the ball height truck vs trailer. The trailer load will shift to the rear if the tongue is to high, especially on a single axle. Trailer and boat must be level.

If you dont have enough weight forward with non adjustable axles then you must move the boat forward on the trailer by moving the winch post forward and adjusting the rollers, or move the load in the boat forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts