BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was kind enough to let me saty with him at a shore rental house in Stone Harbor for a few days.
On wendsday we noticed that the water was oddly clear for the atlantic ocean, clear enough to see people through the waves.
So, we biked down to a store to pick up some snorkling gear. It was a great idea, we were swimming around for awhile like it was the Caribbean. We saw a ton of spider crabs ( there were so many of them because it was there time of the year to get down and dirty) along with other sand crabs, small fish and other marine creatures.
ANYWAY, about an hour into it, I yelled HOLY CRAP! (though the snorkle so it sounded funy) cause i saw not 1 0r 2 but 3! striper swiming together just chillin and doing barrel roles. I kept my distance, so i wasnt to disturb them, and folled the around for about 15min, until they took off. It was awsome, couldnt of had wished for anything better (well not to much)
Being the fishing junky i am, a good idea turned out to be an awsome experience.

Tom

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thats pretty sweet. Its good to hear there are still some around down south. Could you tell how big they were? probably pretty tough underwater.

and I know what you mean about those spider crabs, I saw a couple "doing the nasty" while I was down yesterday. It was almost as fun watching all the crabs and minnows scutteling around in the shallows as fishing (the fishing sucked)
Next thing to buy is an underwater camera!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah definatly wanted one, but i was only there for 2 days and day 2 we got hit by the remnats of the tropical storm and there was normal jersey shore water.

As for the size, i forgot to mention that two of them were prob throwbacks around 20" and the bigger one should have been a keeper prob 24-26 incher, nothin huge but it was cool

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had a similar experience a FEW years ago...
Was around 21st street in SSP and went snorkling - super clean - waves looked from an island.
With snorkel gear, swam out to about 3/4 of the lifeguard flags and found 5 BASS.

They were BIG for me then (30+inches) = and bigger than others in that mix.
This was before I even know what a striper was, but I remembered the markings and couldn't forget what a beautiful fish!!
Out of stupidity I held my breath and swam to them, they didn't seem to budge until I was about 2ft and then they simply kicked away. But stayed in the general area - I "played" with them for abouit 1/2 hour
I wish I had a net for the crabs - but simply swam in awe.
pretty cool for a teenager!!!
This was in around august - so they must be in the surf during the summer!

[ 07-09-2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: RedAtNight... ]

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Thats a great experience!
I sometimes snorkle (or as my elitist dive friends prefer, skindive) the beaches at CISP.
This time of year you will see all kinds of crusteceans doing the nasty, fishies, etc.

Snorkle near any jetty and you will probably find small stripers all summer. A guy I work with goes spearfishing behind Longport and does pretty good.

Mike Laptew puts out some great videos of stripers that he films when diving. I saw a roughcut of the new one he is working on. It is absolutely amazing! I think it will be titled "Stripers Gone Wild".

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wishin,
Where did you stay in SH? I have a rental property on 117th st.
What are the chances???

Sounds like an awesome snorkeling trip. I plan on buying a spear gun for the fall run. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was my first time in SH, and i was impressed ( I usually stay in Brigantine ). My freinds house was on 100th st, real close to the bay, it was a bare bones type place, but a good one with everything we needed.

Tom

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Many people don't realize the marine life right were they are swimming. Bass (small ones mostly, but I've seen some 20lb+ fish too) will cruise the waves during the middle of the day, right inbetween swimmers. As will sharks and rays. If you notice, a lot of guys fishing with bait will hurl their glob of clams well past where the fish are, thinking they are all in the deeper water. I've seen and caught more fish in the waves and wash, during midday, than anywhere else along the beach.

A lot of people just assume that because they are swimming in an area there is nothing else swimming around with them... :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fly Ty R is right on...

When I was a teenager, I used to snorkel in the fall when there were no waves to surf, prior to my fishing life.

I can vividly remeber a warm sunny September day, dead low tide and snorkeling in a tidal area, maybe two feet deep. Swimming around and following a large striper (before I knew what it was) It was rooting around picking up crabs, digging in the sand and had no problem with me being there... very cool... was like swimming with the dolphins. Now, why is it, that they say there are no fish during the day, low tide, shallow water, etc...

With the right bait, I imagine you could catch these fish twenty four hours a day... Of course, that's the hard part...

·
Registered
469 Posts
up in cape cod bay you can stand in crystal clear water waiting for the bass to swim by. when you see them pitch a clam to them and watch how they turn around and inspect it. eventually they eat it. its incredible to do it. i have never walked the flats for bonefish but i cant imagine it is much different than walking the sand flats looking for stripers.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
According to what I've seen firsthand and read, stripers are actually tougher to fool on the flats than bonefish. When bones are up on the flats, they are there to feed. Pitch them some bait nearby and they will normally eat it. Stripers (and blues) usually just cruise the flats, not in a feeding mode. Pitch them a lure or bait and they may flee the area, come over and inspect the bait and refuse it, or eat it. They are often more spooky than bones too.

[ 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts