BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an interesting article in Sportfishing Magazine about the different lights used for swordfishing. We use small glow sticks attached to our leader when dropping a deep line for swords. Has anyone found a particular color to work better then others?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
you need to purchase the LED lights that are battery operated. this is based on the canyon runner seminar we went to last year. we have tried the cylume sticks in the past with NO luck. used the LED lights this year and had several swordfish bites. no luck landing them, but deff swordfish bites. they cost $30-$40 each, last 1000 hours bf batteries need to be changed. purchsed 3- 2 blue and 1 green. best of luck

·
Registered
837 Posts
glowsticks wont cut it that deep. check out lingren pittman, LP. the best of commercial longline gear. (glowsticks can be used right near your squid bait) I use one of the displayed lights that zar pictured and a lesser expensive "disco ball light"

expect to spend about $70 per rig.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I think I need to upgrade next year. Question how do you rig this ?The clip looks like a long line connection how do you rig to your sword bait and still have it come back home ?

the long line clip simply clips onto your mainline or leader depending on how far away from your bait you like your light and how long of a leader you are using. some guys floss a bridle on

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
LP disco (multi-colored) with the nut sack (2 16 oz weights) rubber banded off the bottom of the light. Use LL clip and slap on swivel above leader....

THEN take a small LED LP strobe (they recently started selling the purple flavor....my favorite:) and wax it half way between disco and baited hook....

Good luck!

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think I need to upgrade next year. Question how do you rig this ?The clip looks like a long line connection how do you rig to your sword bait and still have it come back home ?
Right above the swivel on the mainline connect a piece of rigging floss using two uni knots, one knot above the swivel and another aprox. a foot above your first knot. In doing this the light will only be able to slide up and down a foot. when you clip the light on make sure the longline clip is only attached to the mainline and not the rigging floss. good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Right above the swivel on the mainline connect a piece of rigging floss using two uni knots, one knot above the swivel and another aprox. a foot above your first knot. In doing this the light will only be able to slide up and down a foot. when you clip the light on make sure the longline clip is only attached to the mainline and not the rigging floss. good luck!
thanks capt

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
LP disco (multi-colored) with the nut sack (2 16 oz weights) rubber banded off the bottom of the light. Use LL clip and slap on swivel above leader....

THEN take a small LED LP strobe (they recently started selling the purple flavor....my favorite:) and wax it half way between disco and baited hook....

Good luck!

Tight Lines,

Frank

Exactly as he said works GREAT!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Capt Rob

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
I would be more worried about where i set up to do my swordfishing and at what depths than where to hook my lightstick! I know alot of good comm capt swear by lightsticks but in my experience i've seen more sharks caught with them than swordfish.Not to mention almost all of the larger swords i have caught have come on baits with no lightstick or light device.Just my .02 There is one very good sword Capt that has never used lights because he is convinced the light reflects the leader and is more visible to the swordfish.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The way that we have been setting up for the swords has been, a floss loop about 1 foot in length. A uni knot on each end. The LL clip is then snapped on the floss. (Not the main line with this system.) This is retied every night. The weight(s) are then zip tied to the bottom of the light.

Note the spacing of the floss loop to the swivel is dependent on leader length.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.