BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started tying my own bucktails using real hair and was wondering if any of you had any luck using synthetic hair. Any pros or cons to using synthetic? Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use both when I tie up my fluke sliders, teasers and bucktails. It never hurts to have some variety in your tacklebox. I also have found buying wigs from dollar stores, ebay and the halloween stores when they are open to be a great source of cheap nylon hair for lures in pretty much any color you want. I use zip ties to bunch it all together and cut as I need it. Some of the prices for the "hanks" of nylon hair being sold for lures is crazy...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Some good content written above. You can use a variety of material and we all have our favorites.

I've just started tying my own bucktails using real hair and was wondering if any of you had any luck using synthetic hair. Any pros or cons to using synthetic? Thanks.
You really want your bucktails to "breath". Natural materials do this exceptionally well. always cut towards the very ends of a bucktail where the fur gets 'wavy" and begin to tie it as close the jig head as possible so it lays flat and doesn't flare out. don't discount feathers either. You can tie on four (bent toward each other) right before the bend of the hook. It's very similar to a deceiver fly if you want to look it up on youtube. It will give it an presentation that the fish just eat up.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
for some reason i always do much better with real hair then i do the fake stuff.. but then again i have seen people out fish others with no hair at all and then i seen the squid skirts on a jig catch well

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Try tying in a little white saddle hackle... feathers breathe so much better than hair in the water... use it all the time for trailer hooks on plugs ....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love those!! I haven't seen the flatheads in years. The red and white flatheads were all my father I used back in the day.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Real deer hair is hollow which allows it to breath I have tested using varies combinations of hair and real bucktails out produce 3-1 ...If tying your own make sure you lay the hair on in layers and not all bunched up for best results

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Willie. This is one of those times where the instructional videos make it look waayyy easier than it is for a first timer. But as with anything, practice makes perfect. I have a sneaking suspicion that after a few casts my first efforts are going to be looking rather bald!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like to use powder paint. I find it to be a little faster and with practice you can add multicolors and patterns. A lot of people also use vinyl paint. Its all a matter of personal preference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts