BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the barn thanks for any help. I'm new to Striper fishing and will have a boat on the Delaware at Neshaminy Marina. I am looking to run to Trenton for the herring and go for the Stripers when they come. I have been looking into a baitcasting reel. I was looking into something to put 20lb test on. My buddy said he caught a 25lb striper last year and I would hate to lose a big fish to the wrong size line. All the reels I'm researching show 12lb test. Can I put on 20lb test or am I looking at the wrong reels. Any suggestion on the lower end baitcasting reel to fish with 20lb test?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
20lb power pro has diameter of 6lb mono
30lb same as 8 lb
50lb same as 12lb

I caught a 27lb Striper near the Navy yard just south of the little island near the mouth of the Skuykill on a 7 foot bass rod with a 4300ss penn with 8 lb mono ... pound test is really relative to how you fight the fish
keep this in mind. drag and good tackle and a good feel is important...
Herring is great bait fresh either live or chunked also salted clam works great! good spot on the Delaware is the flats they hold nice fish either sandy or rocky they are looking for quick easy meals as they go to spawn. My experience is big bass like the clams and herring baits schoolies enjo the bloods but this is not written in stone also caught some nice bass on worms but more so on the clam... good luck and watch your rod !:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishing with clams

You said you have luck with bloods and clams on the flats. I was reading that when the herring is in town that is all they eat. I heard that later in the season is when you can get them on poppers or clams or bloods. Do you have luck with the clams even when the herring are running and if so do you put out a chum slick? It seems like the river moves awful fast for a chum slick. Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree go for braid with some mono under to fill the spool. I believe you best bet is to get some sabiki rigs and catch your own herring and go with that. Nothing beats free bait!!! Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts