BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you were going to start new, what tackle is a must have in your box? other then hooks, and sinkers. this is my second year with the boat, with all the choices that are out there, everything looks like it would attract fish, and as we know everything doesnt attract fish or catch the fish.
I have been reading that people use some type of teaser with the bucktail, what is it? so many questions I have, trying not to sound stupid is getting hard! lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
this is tough to answer with regard to brevity without narrowing it down a bit more. bait? jigging? plugging? trolling? how do you most like to fish? always from boat?

my short answer is a bag of white bucktails, 1/8-1 1/2 oz.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Diamond jigs,but for the boat bocca grips(lip grip),fishermans pliers,and a good hook remover!!!could save ya time and effort,these items would be a must have for my boat...Vinny

·
Registered
789 Posts
Verse,

If you are looking for teasers,go to the nearest fly fishing shop. Pick out some clouser minnows and small deceivers (3-4")in your favorite colors.
I like red/white, plain white, chartruese/white and olive/white. If the fish are keyed on small baitfish, you'll often catch more on the teaser than on your main lure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my question is a little vauge, I apoligize.
My boat is a 17 foot carolina. I fish the back bays, and within 2 miles in the ocean. I target blues, weekies, flounder, and strippers. I need to restock my tacklebox, since it was left onboard almost everyting in it got destroyed. My question is what are the necessities that you would need in your box to have a productive season. what type of hooks, lures, lines and premade rigs should I be looking for. I dont have a ton of experience, I was wondering if I should buy plugs.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
The thing that works best for me is get rid of the sinkers and use a jig for weight. A sinker never caught a fish ever.

I go to the flea markets and shows and buy heavy bucktails, diamond jigs, hopkins, hammered jigs etc. This year I just put an order in with Jim at James Tackle for a variety of jigs crippled herring, deadly dicks and a few others.

I put a single hook on the jig and a piece of bait on the end and replace the sinker with this. I will then add a flounder rig off off that. It also works good on a top and bottom rig for seabass or whatever you use one for.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You gotta have 1/4 and 3/8 and 1/2oz white bucktails, buy some sea gear florocarbon and make you own rigs, 20lb test, I like to use a bucktail on the bottom(on about 24inch floro) and tied to a 3 way swivel and a #5 laser sharp hook on the top side of the 3 way, minnow or worm(plastic) on bottom and same on top, I'v caught weaks, blues, flounder, striper's on that rig, not to expensive that way(making your own)I use uni-knot and swivels to the 3 way so if one gets chaffed or anything you can change it out right away----good luck

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
what you need to understand is most baits,lures will work in the back bays and just out front,thats not what matters all that much.find out in the area you fish most 1. what tides seems to be the best 2. time of day"most likily night time" 3. weather fronts make a differents fish "all" of them "rain" "wind" "hot days" "cooldays" and so on.4. team up with someone who has fished this area more than you have" the bass barn is a great way to find someone" .if you can't find someone spend alot of time on the water ,you will learn alot by just fishing different areas and over time will get that area "down".after all this you will catch more fish and find out that most fish given the right conditions will take most baits or lures.now this is not always true but will be the case most of the time,hell if it was true all of the time it would'nt be fishing it would be catching :D ,good fishing ,matt

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
If I lost all my tackle hthe first things I would buy are..

1) White Bucktails and White Yamamoto grubs as trailers
2) Storm Wild Eyes - Bunker & Mullet
3) Deadly Dicks
4) Bombers (replace hooks with Gamakatsu's)
5) Bubblegum Fin-s Fish - Kalin Jig Heads
6) Sluggos - Arkansas Shiner & Black
7) Yozuri Mag Poppers & Crystal Minnows
8) Clouser Minnows for Teasers
9) Gibbs Danny Surface Swimmers & Deep Swimmers

·
Registered
771 Posts
Assorted white bucktails tipped with mackeral belly,squid etc.At night black bombers long A-salt.Practice slow retreives.At dawn 7/8oz.yozuri poppers,don't pop too hard keeping contact with the popper reeling slowing and steady rythum so bass can track it.With these basics I find it hard to go to other lures because they work so well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.