BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from S.C. and the Henry's tackle show. Now the work begins. We will be moving stuff around in the front of the store to make more room for the new tackle.

Try to picture over 700 booths of nothing but tackle. All the biggies were there and we took advantage of their specials and all the help they offered.

Just a few comments from meeting some of the manufacturers. Spoke with Spro Bucktail people. They make a beautiful product with a gamma hook but their wraps suck. Hairs pull out way too easy. Once that happens they all start to fall out and you end up with a jighead. Once again I was told that they have had complaints and will be working on it. Told me the same thing five years ago and it's still a problem. Thats why we don't carry them.

I was told this about five times from different sales reps. "these don't catch fish, they catch people" Easy for them to say because they don't have the angler looking them in the eye when it doesn't work.

Had the chance to sit down and eat lunch and dinner with a lot of bait & tackle shop owners. Was amazed at some comments.

We aren't opening until middle of April or later. Just locals around then and it just isn't worth it.

My wife runs the sore and she never fished a day in her life but the customers don't know that.

We have one simple rule. The hot bait or lure are the ones we have the most of.

I was glad to get home.

[ 01-10-2006, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: chunking ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, it was a blast and a lot of help was offered.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Chunking writes in part:
Had the chance to sit down and eat lunch and dinner with a lot of bait & tackle shop owners. Was amazed at some comments.

We aren't opening until middle of April or later. Just locals around then and it just isn't worth it.

My wife runs the sore and she never fished a day in her life but the customers don't know that.

We have one simple rule. The hot bait or lure are the ones we have the most of.

I was glad to get home.
And I reply:
Thats why we come to you

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
FREDRICK - I SUPERGLUE ALL MY SPROS - THE DO SUCK I REDO THEM FOR FRIENDS - AND MAKE EM TO LAST.

ANDRUS IS CLOSE TO THE PERFECT BUCKTAIL -

THEY CAME OUT WUTH THE EYE SERIES (FORGET THE PROPER NAME YOU CALL IT)

ALL THEY NEED IS A GAMI HOOK - OR OWNER - OR BOTH AND THEY WILL HAVE THE PERFECT TAIL BUILT IN MY OPINION (THERE REGULARS CATCH PREETY DAMN GOOD AS IS

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the spro bucktail comments. I've made some other posts that they fall under the category: lures I love that suck. Meaning they sure do catch fish but their durability is the worst. Not only do the hairs fall out but the finish is terrible. They do catch however - I particularly like using spros targeting fluke around rockpiles. Unfortunately that just contributes to the "they suck" problem.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few weeks ago I was watching a show on OLN. One of the freshwater bass guys was down in Florida fishing for grouper. He kept mentioning Spro bucktails so I figured they must be a sponsor. He hooks about a fifteen pounder that was hooked deep in the mouth. Reaches in with his pliers and says, I got it. Gives one pull and comes out with all the hairs but no metal. Camera quick switched to something else.

I've tried coating the wraps myself but just decided to go back to the Andrus. Thats my go to bucktail and it's the one I use to tie all my instore rigs with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts