BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else caught one? I caught one yesterday, I know they tell you to cut the tag off and mail it back. Any other info would be helpful. The striper was released it was under size.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I tag a lot of striper's in the Big D every year. If you can read the information on the tag leave it in and report it to that agency. If you are having a hard time trying to decipher it, cut it off and let the fish go. You can try to read it later. If possible measure, weigh and note where and when the fish was caught. Provide all of that info to the specific tagging group. They may even send you something like a hat in return.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I caught one last fall....the info on the tag said to call md dnr. turned out the fish was tagged two years earlier and had grown from 26" to 32". I got a hat for the phone call which was great!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
tommy said:
Has anybody else caught one? I caught one yesterday, I know they tell you to cut the tag off and mail it back. Any other info would be helpful. The striper was released it was under size.
What color was the tag? Yellow tag is from the American Littoral Society
www.alsnyc.org/

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Pew is the non profit created by the owner of Sun oil. Worth like 6 billion dollars, and they give away 220 million a year. They control every non profit org you've ever heard of with their money. Their reach and power is frightening.

I for 1 am extremely concerned about this. Pew is blatantly anti-fishing. The RFA had a good write up on their skulldugery....

HIJACKING FISHERIES MANAGEMENT

http://www.joinrfa.org/Press/Hijack20070605.pdf

The Pew Charitable Trusts is the 800-pound gorilla of ocean issues. Created with funding from the Sun Oil Company and sitting on a $4.1 billion war chest, it is an organization that refuses to let reality get in the way of their agenda. In public documents their self-mandated mission is to “save” the oceans. They claim that the primary purpose (of the Trust) ‘is to award grants to other organizations as well as direct planning and conducting projects and initiatives that carryout the organizations religious, charitable, scientific, literary and educational purposes.’ This validates that Pew grant recipients are carrying out the ideas and motivations of Pew. The impact of such tactics is changing the direction of fisheries policy. True management and conservation is gradually being replaced by a call to stop all fishing through the use of paid-for science funneled to the media through Pew-financed conduits, and touted by Pew-funded environmental organizations. Much of their agenda is anti-fishing, even on well managed, rebuilt or rebuilding fish stocks, to the point of being little more than a cleverly disguised attack on the public’s access to the ocean. That’s recreational fishermen like us.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smellinfishy here you go #737758. Hey Rocky sorry I cut the tag off, I didn't have a pen or pencil. I'll put one in my gear bag though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
One additional fact that is missing is that the PEW foundation is also funded by the Kennedy family. Anyone heard that they own one of the largest commercial fishing fleets in the country?

Hmm......

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
tommy said:
Smellinfishy here you go #737758. Hey Rocky sorry I cut the tag off, I didn't have a pen or pencil. I'll put one in my gear bag though.
Don't apologize tommy, you can cut the tag off if you have to. I just checked my tags and it isn't one of mine. Apparently I have to look into the connection between the Pew foundation and American Littoral Society.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Our Mission . . .
. . . to promote the study and conservation of marine life
and habitat, to defend the coast from harm and empower
others to do the same.

This is the mission statement of American Littoral society and yes they have received money from PEW BUT NOWHERE NEAR THE MENTION DOLLARS as they get grants and revenue from a host of donors

The organization is focused on maintaining our wetlands and improving water quality, WITHOUT wetlands and good water Quality there will be no fish to catch in our area and wetlands are disappearing at a rapid pace
Their fish tagging program is best on the coast and provides Woods Hole |Scientist with the best and most detail data on East Caost fish
All of this requires millions of dollars to be effective and they have to get funds and grants from wherever they can to be successful
Pew has donated to almost every recreational fishing on the East coast in past years
I CERTAINLY DON'T AGREE WITH THE PEW PHIILOSPHY but will take their money IF used to fight for our wetlands and improve water quality which in the end provides us with a future in recreational fishing
By taking thier money you don't have to agree with them

AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THERE ARE NO PERFECT ORGANIZATIONS FIGHTING TOIMPROVEOUR RECRETIONAL FISHING FUTURES, they allhave flaws,every single one of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts