BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this idea in the offshore forum. The idea is that we offer to take active soldiers fishing for the day. Not everybody has a boat and not eveybody wants to fish out of a boat. I think the soldiers would love to spend a day at the beach with one of you guys learning how to catch em up from the beach.
I was thinking that during one of the many surf tournaments maybe each team could have one novice soldier added to it?
Just thinkin, any other ideas post em up.
The beach would work better probably for the handicapped guys who have to sit in a whelchair or the guys with artificial limbs.
So if you have the time to volunteer to do this even if only one time please post your offer and contact info.
I have calls in to Mcguire, fort dix, the coasties, and the 177th fighter wing out of AC airport. I will be contacting the Va hospitals monday.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Barrell, That sounds like a hell of an idea get in touch w/me [email protected] :D Come on guy's let's support our troops!!! I'm game for some beach bustin!!Goal to put a fish on the line!!!

FC:D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
i would do whatever you wanted! As long as we can have an exemption from the normal law and can have some drinks and BBQ!!!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to offer to volunteer your time please post when you can do it. How many guys you can take. Where you fish out of and your phone number or email adress so the soldiers can contact you directly. I have forwarded this post location to the military they must now investigate and get aproval from commanders and will then make the offers avliable to the soldiers. It may take a week so lets get some more offers up here. You are already goin fishin anyway why not take a couple of guys along and show em how its done. We take saltwater fishing for granted . The soldiers I spoke to today on the phone are mostly from inland freshwater states and told me that they would love to learn how to saltwater fish but dont know how to get started.
Thanx, barrell

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Great idea. Now who is going to take me out Marlin fishing, its been my lifelong dream...:D..

Just kidding, I am willing to take other service members onto the base since they already have a military ID and show them the stones.:)...

Another cool ideal might be to start a care package system, I have a few buddies from the CG in Bahrain, and they have it tough over there.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJ COAST said:
Great idea. Now who is going to take me out Marlin fishing, its been my lifelong dream...:D..

Just kidding, I am willing to take other service members onto the base since they already have a military ID and show them the stones.:)...

Another cool ideal might be to start a care package system, I have a few buddies from the CG in Bahrain, and they have it tough over there.
I sent the info to a Sherry Derogatis at the cape may base.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
barrell said:
I sent the info to a Sherry Derogatis at the cape may base.
Great, I know her, she is in charge of morale/wellness/recreation. Very nice lady.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unfortunately my knowledge on stripers and other saltwater creatures is not the best. Plus I don't have the necessary equipment for such things.

I would like to offer my services for any solider in the area wanting to target smallmouth bass. I am very close to the Schuylkill River (Pottstown), limited knowledge on the Susquehanna, willing to fish the Delaware.

I think this is a great idea and our troops need things like this. I have a family member in the service who is on duty. So I try to help where ever possible.

Contact info. [email protected]

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would feel honored to take a soldier out fishing,, you can count me in,, my e-mail is there in the profile thing,, would like to do it when we know bass/blues are working the beach,, mine would be a surf-fishing/catching day. A small moment out our lives to give to those that have served our country is a small thing to request, I hope this page multiplies w/ all you fellow barners ,, you'd do it for your brother,, these are our brothers.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rockfish1 said:
or you could go here where it's already set up to do what you want to... :cool:

http://takeasoldierfishing.com/board/default.asp
Rock fish that is where the idea came from. That site however gets almost no hits. Fisherman dont know about it and the soldiers dont know about. By trying do localize the offers using local websites and then contacting local military bases to make them aware of the offers it will be more effective. That site also went down for months and they lost all their data.
Mkolach and rick. Thank you for your generous offers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
the pier I fish here on North Topsail island {Sea View} sponsors a day trip for those in the Wounded Warrior battalion here on Camp Lejeune... free rods, bait and tackle and a bunch of locals to help out for those not to familiar with fishing... we also catch up a bunch of mullet, trout, etc and feed them lunch also... :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely!!!

That sounds like a great idea and would like to volunteer my time and gear. I live a few houses off the beach in Silver Beach "next to Normandy Beach close to Lavalette" I'm in my early 30s and have been surf fishing as long as I can remember. I'm on the beach fishing every weekend in the spring/fall. Please contact me or have the Soldiers contact me directly.

Eric Polovina
973-600-9022

·
Registered
78 Posts
great ideal

i spent 11 years of my life in the service. it's great to see people do things like this, i am very new to surf fishing and have less than a year under my belt, i am figureing this out as i go, i have no knowledge to pass on to the troops at this point, very sorry, but i am very happy to see everyone jumping at this, mabey another time in the future when i have some knowledge to give to them.

have a good one
castaway

·
Registered
399 Posts
just so you guys know

ok guys i got the info out to mcguire afb. i hope that you guys start getting some calls soon. it took quite a bit of foot work but its there. the info should start getting diseminated very soon. if there is anything else i can do just let me know..

thank-you guys im hoping many of the guys here will take advantage of this generous offer i know i will be. im off fridays if anyone doesnt mind a tagalong

my contact info is:
cell: 609-617-6911
email is:[email protected]

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Just an idea for both Ripetide & Barrel, Could you start a register so that if any one going on the beaches in Brigantine could check with you so we could make arrangements to take them when we would be down there. More to act as a clearing house. I realize this is asking alot, but it might help the idea.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fishtrek said:
Just an idea for both Ripetide & Barrel, Could you start a register so that if any one going on the beaches in Brigantine could check with you so we could make arrangements to take them when we would be down there. More to act as a clearing house. I realize this is asking alot, but it might help the idea.
The idea is you post here and the soldiers will be given theese links to check out. You should put your name, days you fish and contact info here.
I am having a hell of a time getting the bases to pass the links on to the troops. As of today its been a month and the commanders are still investigating the program before they authorize releasing the links to the troops. I have a soldier at Fort Dix,Maguire,and the 177th airbase all working on it for me with their superiors.
Out of frustration I even sent an email to Congressman Lobiondo to see if he could get involved in getting the info out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My son is leaving for Iraq in June with the other 3000 NJNG Soldiers. He has always wanted to go off shore ( I'm a surfcaster, which he enjoys) If someone can help me get him out on a fishing trip before he goes would be super. Not looking for hand outs but maybe a little help.:) Hey he's a member of TEAM BASSBARN. Just trying to make to make a dream come true before the boy goes.:(

1 - 20 of 59 Posts