BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can get away with carring flies in my carry on, I"m not checking bags. I may just mail them down ahead, thanks.

· Registered
228 Posts
I’ve been asking everyone the same question! I’ve got a trip next month, and I’m getting some conflicting information.

Some people have told me that they have had no problem taking 4/0s in their carry on.

The TSA website said that they allow hooks in your carry on, as long as they are not large “deep sea” hooks… whatever they consider that to be. I’ll find that link and post it here.

I called Delta the other day and they said all hooks would need to be in checked baggage no matter the size.

I’m still not sure what I’m going to do.

I’m going to southern Chile for some trout fishing. Shipping anything down there ahead of time is going to be expensive. If they lose my luggage, I’m going to be screwed. Since my buddy and I are both flying out of Philly, we will probably split the flies to minimize the risk.

Our guide of course will have some extra stuff, and the other guys meeting us down there, but I’m spending many hours tying for this trip.

I also have a lot of metal in one my legs form a past injury… sometimes I set of the metal alarm…. I hate…HATE :mad: the airport.

· Registered
202 Posts
folks with surgically implanted metal pins and joint/ knee replacements are advised up here to get a doctor's letter confriming the metal implants. I suggest checking with TSA and your airport for documentation they want. Especially where you will be on international flights round trip, better to get the ducks, er flies lined up before hand if you can. Keep the letters with you and any written TSA response. It may depend on who is screening etc, so good luck

· Registered
931 Posts
I flew to Florida last year and had the same question (Richmond Va. to Ft Meyers, Fl.).

What I found is this.

I you are planning a trout trip and all the patterns are small hook, usually they will let them through. But considering the latest airport issues they may be getting tougher even on small hooks. It comes down to TSA decision at each airport.

If you are planning a SW trip with larger hooks, dont even try it. Very high probability they will not let them threw.

I recommend checking through as baggage all hooks, including all pointy metal stuff (tweezers, hemos, pliers, etc). Or mailing them ahead to destination through the mail/UPS/Fedex.

The bummer would be to wait in line and be at inspection with all of your hooks and the inspector says no, and its very time consuming to go back out and check them through.

My baggage I checked through of hooks and tools made it with me to Ft. Meyers.

I only carried on a 9wt 4pc, all of my reels and spare spools with line, leader materials, tippets, gloves, sun cover, etc.

· Registered
1,637 Posts
I flew domestic and had no trouble carrying boxes of trout flies, but it seems that it is up in the air until you get to the gate. this is the stupidity of the system, could you imagine someone trying to take over a plane with an assortment of crazy charlies, passangers would line up in the aisle to kick their ***.

· Registered
390 Posts
Re the post about carrying on reels - I got stopped coming from Canada and had to disassemble and mail the spool with the line on. They were worried about the fishing line. I was flattered as not even fish regard me as dangerous regardless of what weight line!

· Registered
931 Posts
Re the post about carrying on reels - I got stopped coming from Canada and had to disassemble and mail the spool with the line on. They were worried about the fishing line. I was flattered as not even fish regard me as dangerous regardless of what weight line!

Slopoke

Yes I heard about people being required to remove line for some international flights. Ridiculous but true.

I guess someone could attack someone on a plane with fly line and a few crazy charlies, not a real crazy charlie but the fly noted above:nuts:

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Slopoke

Yes I heard about people being required to remove line for some international flights. Ridiculous but true.

I guess someone could attack someone on a plane with fly line and a few crazy charlies, not a real crazy charlie but the fly noted above:nuts:
I have been guilty of making some folks who crowded me on a jetty a bit uncomfortable with a 400 gr and a big clouser:D

· Registered
4,852 Posts
Simple, just take all the flies out of the box and packem around your nuts. Now, feed the line up your ***, caution, leave a loop hanging out about two inches. get to your destination. Now the next part requires the help and a gentle touch by your fishing partner..:eek:

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Now, feed the line up your ***, caution, leave a loop hanging out about two inches. get to your destination. Now the next part requires the help and a gentle touch by your fishing partner..:eek:
Remember that UV knotsense makes knots smooth so they slip through the guides easier, there is a reason it is called the blood knot:eek:

· Registered
19,261 Posts
My flies usually just follow me right down the ramp and on the plane. In fact, they follow me just about everywhere I go.... the buzzing gets alittle annoying....

Seriously, make up a couple small "combo" boxes of your flies and pack them across your checked luggage... if one bag gets lost you are not screwed.

Rods and reels get carried on in my world. I have gotten in some discussion abut the type of rod tubes I carry....if the tube is covered in fabric, no problem... those metal tubes can attract attention as TSA is leary of big metal things that can be used as a club or weapon :rolleyes:.

· Registered
2,504 Posts
Never had a problem flying to FL but always checked flies, scissors, nippers, etc. I CARRY ON two rods and my reels, no goon is gonna ruin my trip, I can buy flies, ain't easy replacing a Sage on the road.
Ya know, you could always get multiple piercings and hang your flies all over yer face! That would be interesting...

· Registered
759 Posts
No problem

I flew from Phila. to Florida, St. Thomas, Abaco, and a couple of other palces with fly boxes in my backpack. No problem so far. i would take them to the counter and ask the person at check-in to see if it is going to be a problem. If so, throw them into your check in luggage...

· Registered
17 Posts
flies on planes

Take a look at the TSA site:http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

It states at the bottom of the page:
Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

I traveled to Belize just before Christmas, Carrying on all of my flies, reels and rods, without a problem.

I did print the page noted above in case there was a question.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.