BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy who's dying to try some flyfishing in the salt. He lives in Ventnor and borrowed by 8wt over teh weekend. He just called to tell me about how he got smacked around by the waves out front this morning.

It turns out that I may be able to sneak out of the office early tomorrow and go down to the shore and meet him. Does anyone have a suggestion for someplace accessible for the shore-bound that might be protected from the wind and has a reasonable chance for being productive?

Thanks for the tips. I will be checking this forum or can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] (or by phone at 215-508-5261 at the office).

Thanks a lot, folks.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Depends on the wind direction. If from the East Rainbow channel from info center is nice. From the west, elbow. If you need more feel to e-mail me. Good luck & let us know. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Rob, maybe fighting the tides tomorrow. The water will be low at prime times in the morning and evening. From shore that almost always is a problem, atleast down here in Cape May. Jetties down here are pretty good, so up where your are jetties might be a possibility. During the day hopefully Sparse will be able to stear you somewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend met me about 1700. We fished the bank north of the bridge along Rainbow Channel (the East bank of the channel that has the dredger parked in it)until about 1900. One more big skunkeroo :( :(

By that time my friend was tired and I had to get back home for date night with the wife. I have to get him some casting lessons, but he's coming along. Maybe next time we'll have better results with time, location, and tide - and actually catch a few fish.

Have a great rest of the week.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend met me about 1700. We fished the bank north of the bridge along Rainbow Channel (the East bank of the channel that has the dredger parked in it)until about 1900. One more big skunkeroo :( :(

By that time my friend was tired and I had to get back home for date night with the wife. I have to get him some casting lessons, but he's coming along. Maybe next time we'll have better results with time, location, and tide - and actually catch a few fish.

Have a great rest of the week.

Rob

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The first problem was leaving Rainbow at 7PM. It doesn't even get dark until about 9PM now. The bulk of the fish will hit at sunset, then there will be a lull, then a few hours after sunset until sunrise. Don't even try Rainbow during the daylight hours. There's too much traffic around. If you're serious about fishing the sod, get out there well after dark (but only on banks that you are familiar with!!). But, I know fly fishing after dark with a newbie is tough (seeing as they can't see :D !).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts