BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody own any of them talica 2 speed reels? If so what kind of fishing are you using them for. Are they worth the money? Please any insite thank you. Thinking about getting one maybe use it for some ling, blues stripers, cod etc.. Maybe some deep dropping fishing.

pipes

·
Registered
312 Posts
I own a Talica 12II and 2 Talica 16II. I use them for tilefishing, tuna fishing, and grouper and snapper in the Dry Tortugas. Can't say enough good things about them. In addition, while field testing Terez rods in Guatemala almost 2 years ago, I caught a 200 - 250lb blue marlin on a Talica 8II and a Terez TZC 80ML with 20lb mono. Your dilemma is this: the Ta 8 or 10 would begreat for your described inshore applications but too small (line capacity wise) for deep dropping and the 12 and 16 size are way overkill for inshore fishing but perfect size for deep dropping. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For your intended fishing go with the 8ll, or 10ll that will give you more line cap. Thats about the only difference line cap. Load it up with 50 lb. (Shimanos site says 535/50) spectra and you're good to go.

I don't think you really need a 2 spd for blues and stripers, but it's nice to have just in case.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I own quite a few reels --saltigas, trinidads, accurates, avets, JPM's, Penns and etc-- and my favorite overall multi-purpose, day-to-day reel is the Saltiga 30. It is a light weight work horse that never fails me.

I did buy a 2 speed Talica 10 several months ago. I loaded it up with 500+ yards of 50 lb diamond braid. The reel has a great feel to it. So far I have only used it for togging. I plan to use it for some Cod fishing, as well as it take it on a multi day trip to NC for tilefish, group, snapper, cobia, amberjack and etc.

My sole issue with the Talica (and it could be a user error) is that the drag seems to slip on me sometimes. Again, maybe I am doing something stupid (it would not be the 1st time). or maybe since I bought it used (the 1st owner said that he never used it) the drags needs to be replaced.

Peter

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My sole issue with the Talica (and it could be a user error) is that the drag seems to slip on me sometimes. Again, maybe I am doing something stupid (it would not be the 1st time). or maybe since I bought it used (the 1st owner said that he never used it) the drags needs to be replaced.

Peter
This is exactly why I got rid of all the talicas I had.A lot of the time you would max drag them and you could pull line off the reel like it was about in free spool.I thought maybe it was in the first run of the reel as I had bought them before a lot of tackle shops even had them.I hope they fixed the issue. It would only happen occasionally but with my luck it would be when I had a fish of a lifetime on my line.:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Talica's

Dave is right. I own a dozen single and 2 speed Avets. Nothing wrong with them, I like the performance, and customer support and colors. (If that matters to u) However I recently bought 1 talica 16, 2 speed, little large but smooth and tons of drag. I now prefer these Talica's. Little smoother drag. Im holding off on offloading the avets to c if the Talica's may do colors like the Avets. For two speed value without the overkill of the big reels the Talica is worth the money. I deep drop alot, with a ton of weight and i really like these reels. The variety of sizes (8, 10, 12, 16 and up) also helps in your choice. Do urself a favor take your rod (that u want the reel on) to dave's shop and have it sized for the right unit. Good luck. C u in florida Dave!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I now own one of each size. All 2 speeds. I love them for everything from flounder to tuna. They are my goto reels and I have a lot of trinidads that I used to love. Since I got these Talica's my trinidads haven't been used much.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 10 of these reels ranging in size from 10's to 20's. I think they are great. Light and strong. The only thing you would need any other reel for is either giant BFT Blues or blacks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yo dave, im working on it, but wife only gave me a pass for 5 days. Still bending her ear though! Saw he still has room for ur trip. Just praying for that weather window now! Time is close!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have 2 16 II that I got from Dave at the Reel Seat

I can't say enough about the reel or Dave's customer service.

Only draw back is they could have made the handle longer so when you have heavy drag you have more leverage.

Thanks Dave!

Capt Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts