BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

My buddies and I are relatively new to the Barn, but we all agree this is the best place to learn other than being on the water itself.

Our first trip out will be 1st week of April. Although we will certainly be targeting Stripers primarily, I don't want to entirely neglect flounder. Any suggestions on fishing for flatties while anchored up?? We'll be in Barnegat Bay, just north of the inlet. Hopefully the weather improves and we'll be sure to report after trip. Thanks. Good Fishin.

JJ

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
jj welcome to the bassbarn. We have plenty of members that fish that area regylarly so you should expect the some great advice shortly. Sound slike it will be ablast no matter what you catch. Be sure to let us know how you make out either way.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
jjsax,

I fish that area a lot, I have only been flounder fishing once so far, last Saturday we got 9 nine, but we worked real hard for them. If your anchored up bring plenty of chum, and bloodworms are the bait of choice for winter flatties

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Peice of cake. Use clam chum in your chum pots, it will attract the striper and the flatties. You'll fish your flounder rigs right under the boat, you'll want them close to the chum pots, In fact, definitely loop a couple short.. 1 foot leaders w/ hooks on them onto the chumpot itself and bait them up too. Get some bloodworms too for the flounder, incase they or the bass want them over clam. I've caaught just as good on clam somedays, others, all they want is worms, even when coming to clam chum! Bait your striper rigs w/ clam & bloodworms and cast downtide of the boat a little as to not get in the way of the flounder rigs. As long as you fish your spread to avoid tangles both can be targeted easily w/ clam chum & clam & blood or sandworm baits.

[ 03-24-2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
RodDad, couple years past when I was fishing for winter flatties in late march, early April up in Barney, my buddy got a bass on a winter flounder rig. We re-rigged a couple rods for bass, continued flounder fishing and continued to catch both rigged as described above. Usually, you'll have much better success on one than the other, depending on your primary target..and spots, but it never hurts to target both!! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
and don't forget to mind the gear you're using...line quality, drag settings, etc. A few years ago, my buddy brought out a few old sh*#ty setups for targeting flounder...wouldn't you know it, a striper takes the bait and a few seconds later...SNAP!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
JJ,

I've heard this works well that time of year for bass and flounder especially. I don't do much flounder fishing this time of year, but my buddies that do always bring out something long to churn the bottm with if they're fishing relatively shallow; like an oar or a clam wrake. Every ten minutes or so they just scrape the bottom around the boat. They also bring out a few cans of cheap dog food. They poke a dozen or so holes in the can, run some twine through the holes and tie a sinker off to it and drop it to the bottom. They'll give the line a good shake every once in a while. They swear by this method. Hope its helpful.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
RED, use braided line on your light tackle so u r ready for anything. jerseyJoeC, stirring the bottom up is definitely advantageous. We circle clamp a toilet plunger to a long pole and plung the bottom every so often around the boat. This brings the little worms and other microscopic creatures the flounder feed on up and carries them down current drawing the flounder in. Could help draw the striper in too, but it does cloud up the water so don't go overboard. Stir it up real good at first, before you drop your chum pots, then every so often, shake the chum pots often though, and if they have extra weight and wiggle, pull them in cause you got a flattie hooked up. Last time i went flattie fishing, I caught 4 on the rod, the 2 chumpots caught 6!

[ 03-24-2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts