BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a most memorable fishing trip in Gasparilla / Boca Grande Florida. Landed a fish of a lifetime, Tarpon estimated to be around 150-175 pounds. I ignored many people stating this is the best gamefish in the world, but now I am a believer. We fished the Gasparilla Pass and flats Friday and Saturday. Landing a 34 Cobia and three tarpon to about a 100 pounds. One nice gator trout as well was landed that took a jerk-bait while we were trying to spot pinfish for the cast-net.

Last night included a Boca Grande Passnight trip with world class Tarpon guides, our boat was chartered by the 2003 Boca Grande Tarpon champion. This is Pass, or inlet fishing. The technique includes a conventional set-up, stop and drop your bait of choice( crab or shrimp)technique. Very precise, always on the move. They use 80 pound braided line on Penn 20's and 30's, break away egg sinkers, 12 feet of 100 pound leader. I was very happy to see the come back of the J hook, circles lose fish IMHO, and theirs too. The hook was a 5/0 Gamma

We had seven hook-ups, three of which were mine, we landed 3 fish. First one off after 2 minutes, but plenty of jump and display. Second fish was a giant, aprox 200 pounds, I got spooled. The guide was purely embarassed, claimed it was the first time he had that happen to him. I watched two guys land two fish, got mine on one of the last drifts, it ended up being the last one anyway.

I have had the good fortune to fight many a fish, but the pull and power of a giant Tarpon is second to none. As luck would have it, my digital camera has died, but it would not have mattered for the Tarpon trip, no way I or the two guys around me were taking pics.

There was another guy on the trip from Ohio who claims he has pics and even better a video, I hope to be posting this soon, you guys will love it.

Take Care

Ron

[ 05-07-2006, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I haven't caught very many big fish, but the tarpon is by far the best fight of anything I've ever caught. And my PB is only 80 lbs. We were down last week and had tarpon, snook and reds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks like this trip is a blast for sure. Hoping what you've learned there will help us land those bad boys here. :D

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by aimless:
I haven't caught very many big fish, but the tarpon is by far the best fight of anything I've ever caught. And my PB is only 80 lbs. We were down last week and had tarpon, snook and reds.
I agree, Dan.

I am waiting on those pics and movie today, hope to post soon

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Dr. Bass-
I am heading down the Boca Grande in late June for Tarpon. I sure hope they hand around til then. Can't wait to see your pics.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
No camera needed for tarpon. It gets burned into your mind. Something that you can never forget. I think you know what I mean. Me and my brothers first fish, which was lost boatside after 6 spectacular jumps, wakes me up in a cold sweat some nights just thinking of that SPEED and POWER.
Thank God you can't eat them, there wouldn't any around. But they do cause some divorces. Google "My Tarpon Addiction" and you'll get a great read.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ron, Glad you had a great trip! You can show me the photos in June!
BTW check your e-mail!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
BTW check your e-mail!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
BTW check your e-mail!
Bruce

I did not get it, I will e-mail you

Up in NJ, in the am !!!!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Ok now I am pumped! I leave in a few hours for Boca Grande...to catch me a tarpon. Thanks for the report. I hope to post some pics when I return.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Dr. Bass- shoot me an email when you get a chance.
I can't find your email.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Partnership:
Dr. Bass- shoot me an email when you get a chance.
I can't find your email.
Tom

Sorry for the late reply

Let me e-mail you, just got a call from the guy in Ohio, He has the pics, and video. Gonna post as soon as I can

1 - 16 of 16 Posts