BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in the keys in a couple weeks, any advice on what to use to catch tarpon? Artifical, live bait etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
by a couple, do you mean like 3 or like 10 weeks?

the tarpon season is usually april-june. before then, i would target something else. cobia, kings, lots of stuff to play with.

having said that i did catch my first tarpon there in late march. i hope to take my dad down in may for a 100#er.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anchor up, cut up frozen butter fish. Look for other boats doing the same - you can tie off their anchor when they release to go fight their fish, but have to give it back when they return.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'll be in the keys in a couple weeks, any advice on what to use to catch tarpon? Artifical, live bait etc. Thanks.
I've used Rhode Runner guide service in Marathon twice with good luck but they don't start guaranteeing tarpon till April 1st. I stayed at Bud n' Mary's in Islamorada a few years back in February and tarpon fishing was real slow so I asked the guide if we could find some big cudas since we got no tarpon. He must have thought I was nuts cause they consider them junk fish there, but they saved the day for me! Big 3-4' cudas on live bait in shallow water was a BLAST! Best advice is to target what's species is biting while you are there.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Watch the damn hammerheads down there....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll be there the last 2 weeks of Feb. so what it sounds like is that I'll be early for the tarpon, so I'll target something else, thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be staying in Islamorada, we rent a place on the water. I see Tarpon every year but can't seem to land one and we have tried, it seems, everything for bait.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i havent fished islamorada. sorry. good luck. i love the keys!

BTW, if you can find a bridge crossing with a good "light line" fish it. thats where the tarpon will be. i got mine on the fly. guys with spinners and lures and even bait did nothing. a black bunny fly did the trick. twice.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'll be in Islamorada the last weekend in Feb. Tarpon is a dream fish for me but from what I've read Feb is not the month to target Tarpon. We have a guide hired for the weekend so I'll trust him to put me on whatever is around. Me and my girlfriend are staying at the breezy palm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Years ago we chartered a boat out of Ft. Myers for a few days and we were catching a lot of snapper and Grouper. We had a new guy with us from Boston and he wouldn't shut up about Cod fishing. Well, we had tossed out a couple of snapper carcusses on the Big rod while we cooked up some dinner.
That rod started pealing line and the captain yelled from the fly bridge
"Yo Boston, get in the chair". A 6 foot Tarpon danced across the water.
We never heard anything about Cod ever again.
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts