BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Islamorada over the weekend in hunt for the Silver Kings. Weather was overcast with a light breeze Friday and Saturday and my friend Jim from New Orleans and I were booked with Capt. Jeremy Fisher for both days. This was both our first Tarpon trip, and man were we in for a treat. Started out livelining green crabs to no avail, so we made a move and threw the castnet grabbing about 20 live mullet. Started to liveline the mullet along a channel bank and all hell broke loose. Tarpon were rolling all around us and I was first to hook up with this 80 Lber.

Then Jim was hooked up to what the Capt. estimated to be around 100 Lber.

While Jim was hooked up my line started to scream and it was a double hook up with a 120 Lber. After a 50 minute fight with her, I finally get the fish to the boat, and the Capt. says she's too green to put in the boat without destroying his gear, so we get some pics in the water and release her safely as we did with the other two fish.

On the way back to the dock we stopped by a bridge and threw some small crabs. First cast and I hook up with a permit estimated to be between 18 and 20 Lbs. that breaks off as soon as the Capt. grabs the leader :mad: Then Jim takes a shot and lands this 7 Lber.

Got skunked on Saturday, but all in all an awesome trip in the keys. I'm heading to Sanibel next Monday for some snookin off the beach. Can't wait :cool:

[ 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: striper13 ]

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10 years to go Ed, but in the mean time I plan on a once a year trip in May or June. The guide was awesome and I would highly recommend him to barners. Email me for his info. striper13

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Rick-Congrats on an awesome trip down to the Keys. I hope you got a chance to eat at Lazy Days while down there.

You really got my blood pumping as I am heading down to Boca Grande in 3 weeks for Tarpon.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom, If you ever need a place to stay down there give me a a shout. I have a new 2 bedroom place in Cape Coral on the water with a slip that I'll give you a great deal on anytime. striper13

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great story and pics. Fished there a few years ago and would love to go back when the tarpon are there. Was told June is the best month. Tarpon on the Fly!! Stayed at Holiday Isle, marina, dive shop, guide services and off shore, one stop shopping and 5 bars.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Cape Coral is on the left coast next to Fort Myers.

If you are going there, you want to go to over to Pine Island, head north to Bokeelia to Four Winds Marina and hook up with George Hawkeye Halper.
http://www.fishwithhawkeye.com/

Either that or Butch Rickey of Bar Hopp'r charters. Butch runs out of the south end so to get to boca grand pass it a bit of a run.

http://www.barhoppr.com/

Both Capts are top knotch and good friends

1 - 15 of 15 Posts