BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have an opportunity to go for tarpon this year.What weight and lenght rod and type reel is good.For a moderate price around 5-600 dollars.Thanks

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
SOme guys use 10 wts for Tarpon. I've never fished for them but I would get a 12wt Temple Fork and a 12 wt Teton Tioga or Old Florida. That will keep you below your budget.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
with a monocore line. They are line shy. Monocore is clear and sinks very slowly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It really depends where you are fishing and the size tarpon you'll probably be seeing. If you are going with a guide, ask him/her. For small shallow water tarpon (to 20 lb.) that you find in the creeks, mangrove pools, and around docks, an 8 or 9 wt is great fun. For the flats and most of the inshore fish that go to 60+, a 10 or 11 wt is about right. For large spawners off the beach or in channels where the size can go 100+, a 12 is necessary. If you can carry a 10 & a 12 you would be in good shape. Remember, wind can play havoc and you may need that extra weight just to push a big fly out there.
I was in Sarasota 2 weeks ago watching some lovely schools of big tarpon move north. Unfortunately, the wind was bad and although we caught lots of tarpon to 150 lb, we only got a couple of bites & one 70 lb in 3 days on fly. Crabs were the bait of choice and the go to fly (if you can say that with only a couple of bites) was an Enrico Puglisi fiber bunker about 5" with big eyes in Black & Purple. Tarpon can be very fickle feeders so a decent assortment of flies can't hurt. Leedz49 is right about the monocore line or you go with longer leaders. Floating, slo sink and intermediate lines again depend on the type of fishing you will be doing. Hope this helps more than confuses.

fishnherb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts