BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
tog is awesome!!
You can cook it a variety of different ways and no matter what it tastes great. The consistency of the fillet allows you to grill it, bake it, fry it without it falling apart, but it is tender and delicious when eating.
Clean the fillet, pat it dry (but just a bit moist), crack fresh pepper and crack salt over it (easy on the salt). Do this both sides and throw it on foil with holes punched in it. Half a teaspoon of whipped butter (whipped doesn't taste as heavy/oily) on each side. You can serve it to the wife with some wine, or with your buds with some beers, or use it for a sandwich.
It's awesome, and I know by your posting name, they're pretty accessible to you (Avalon side of TI, right by the rocks)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that settles it...ill have to get my hands on some green crabs and be out there on the rocks! what do you guys usually use as a setup for them line strength hook size weight?

·
Registered
385 Posts
go to the surf forum,
select topics from 30 days,
on I believe page 2, there is a post/question from
"Clayton Clay" about "Tog Fishing"
There's several opinions and I'm sure they all work...
Good luck

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just go one last weekend, fo rhte first time, and it surely was the best tasting fish I've ever had! I breaded it with "shore lunch" batter. If I get one this weekend, I'll try making a sandwich out of it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've got a friend that uses the following gauge for explaining the table fare qualities of fish...

"If you can stick the fish in the microwave and cook it for 15 seconds and tell me it's the best fish you've ever tasted, it's tautog."

·
Registered
980 Posts
Tog has got to be one of the best eating critters in the water .take some italian bread crumbs with a little old bay ,toss it in a pan with some melted butter and let it fry ,make a sandwich or eat it plain it's great .riggs are simple nothing more than a drop loop in the end of some 30 or 40 lb mono slip the loop over the sinker. a #4 hook with a 4 to 6" leader ,thread the leader through the sinker and over the hook use a stiff short rod keep your line tight and your rod low be ready for a quick hook set.grean crab is like tog candy but clam will work .KEEP IT SIMPLE .and bring plenty of hooks and sinkers it's almost a guarantee you'll break off plenty of riggs .but if you get into some fish you WILL be hooked for life !!!!!!!GOOD LUCK :D

[ 11-04-2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: ED.H ]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Best eating fish next to Wahoo! cut em up into 1-2" chunks dry them off and mix up some Bisquick, smother them in the batter and deep fry! Absolutely awesome!

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Almost as good as walleye, but almost as ugly as Ding. I do em up as BassVamp does. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
276 Posts
Has anyone been catching any Taug from the beaches along the Jetties? In the spring we were getting some real nice fish on Crabs and clams.

Do they usually run bigger in the fall and do they hang around the jetties or do they head into the backbays?

best Fried fish you will ever eat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went tog fishing today and caught several for the first time,I made one bad mistake I caught a tog about 4lbs and was so excited I fell off the side of the jetty luckily I didn't get hurt the jetty was not slippery I was just careless.The tog are out and are willing to bite green crab was the best bait for me I cleaned the one tog that I kept I haven't tried it yet I was told it is one of the better tasting fish that swims.

·
Registered
88 Posts
excellent
Hutch Jr. has it right with the mircroway idea

my dad did this trick with seabass

Cooks can overcook fish

You know when fish is the best when u can't buy it at the store or it's very expensive.

I was told about another fish "you'll can have the tunas, I just want the wahoo"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts