BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tautog,aka BlackFish,White Chins & Slippery Bass
Season Swings Into High Gear this Mon.11/15...
When Bag Limits Increase to (8)fish a day @14"
and will last until the end of the year...

I thought it would be a good idea to anchor a
thread devoted to these bottom dwellers for
everyone to post a report or give some
advise/tips on targeting these great fighting
and delicious eating fish from our waters....

Did You Know
These Fish are Day Feeders and Rest At Night...
They are Long Lived with a life spand up to
30yrs old..
Very Slow Growing Fish,Keep In Mind a Mature
Tog is between 7"-12"'s Long and at that point
is about 2-4yrs old, The Best Egg Producer is
around 14'-16"s in length...
This time of the year when the water temperatures
hit 50 degrees it starts their Off-Shore Migration
to deeper water,where they will spend the winter
in 80'-150' of water until the Spring where they
will then return to our In-Shore Waters to Spawn....

Check This Out- World Record Tog -Caught In N.J.

Anthony R. Monica caught this pending world record "Tautog" (Black Fish) on January 20, 1998, fishing off the party boat "North Star" sailing out of Ocean City. Conditions were difficult with six to eight foot seas and wind driven snow showers. Anthony was using a Penn Model 501 on a 64 1/2" Custom rod with Ande Pink 30 lb. test line. The fish tipped the scales at 25 pounds with a length of 34 1/2 inches and a girth of 28 1/4 inches.
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks Guys, Looking Forward To Hearing About
Some Great Tog Fishing over the next 7 Weeks,,
And If Anybody Has Any Questions, Post It Here
and Maybe We Can Get You A Answer....

Later,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by njvbass:
do they only hit the green crabs.Or is that just what they prefer.
Green Crabs Is The Preferred Bait, But Tog
love to eat alot of different crustaceans on
the ocean floor.. They have Strong Molars
that Crushes The Shell...They also eat Mussels
and Barnacles along with Crabs...

I have had alot of succes in years past fishing
for them around the local South Jersey Jettys
with Fiddler Crabs.....

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
This time of year generally green crabs are an excellent bait, although if you can get atlantic rock crabs "whiteleggers", they are tog cocaine. Just keep in mind that the bite may go back and forth between whiteleggers and grennies..you may slam fish on whitleggers while not getting a touch on grennies and then it switch and greenies get whaled and whitleggers not get a sniff...I've seen it happen on numerous occasion...also you may get preference on a paticular crab...like whole small greenies, or grennie halfs with legs, or greenie halfs without legs, or big orange greenie bunnie halves...just keep playing around with different things to get the best bite going you can...

Other baits include clams(only use them if I cant get crabs...their pretty much a one and done bait), fiddlers and sand fleas(like em in spring and on shallow water pieces).....

Could write a treatise on blackfish baits and presentation but dont have the time right now....tog are a rather interesting fish that can change its preference hour to hour, day to day...what makes it so challenging and fun to fish for em..

Phil L

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Phil L:
Looking to run on Tuesday once this weather lays down...will give a report...

Phil L
Good Luck Phil,,,

Can't Wait To Hear How You Did...

Thanks,,,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
I have a charter next Sat & Sunday in the highlands - hopefully will have sometin to report!
Go Get'Em, Brian,,,,
I hear good things up around that way....

Looking Forward To Your Report...

Thanks,,,

·
Registered
294 Posts
What type of rod should be used if targeting from beach. All reports call for a short sturdy rod, but thats going to kill casting distance and accuracy (planning to try the jetties and the TI bridge). What do you guys use?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by TI Guys:
What type of rod should be used if targeting from beach. All reports call for a short sturdy rod, but thats going to kill casting distance and accuracy (planning to try the jetties and the TI bridge). What do you guys use?
TI Guys,
Not Sure Exactly What Type of Beach You Plan
On Fishing,I know up North say on LBI alot
of guys creep out on the small jettys that
extend into the Surf and they use the Shorter
more Stout Rods..I also have used a strong
small rod when I fished the Inlet Jettys
around NWW and WWC, The Idea Was Not To Give
Them Any Play or Line When They Hit My Bait,
So They Couldn't Take Me Down In The Rocks
and Break Me Off.. It didn't always work
and you have to be quick.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll start soon and post

A friend cought 2- 10lbs in 50ft water- wreck

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Actually a longer stiffer rod I find better. Like a 9 foot 3-6 oz heaver, Couple of different reasons...
You can extend out over the rocks better and drop you bait into the holes.
and When using alonger rod you get more travel at the tip and a longer "lift" than with a short rod pulling the fish out of the danger zone quicker and with less effort.

TI Guys, tog fishing is not a distance sport its mostly a precise drop down and cross their eyes ;) Rarely should you need to do anything more than an underhand lob.

·
Registered
294 Posts
considering I would use crab or clam I had guessed that. The reason I asked was because to reach a bridge piling I would have to pitch it out a little ways. on rock embankments and jetties, can you walk out and just lower the line right off the structure?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by TI Guys:
considering I would use crab or clam I had guessed that. The reason I asked was because to reach a bridge piling I would have to pitch it out a little ways. on rock embankments and jetties, can you walk out and just lower the line right off the structure?
That depends on what bridge you're fishing. ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

I know Mr. Monica pretty well. I graduated with his son. He's a man of simple emans that just loves to fish and a great guy. I couldn't think of a better man to hold that record!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by bassvamp:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TI Guys:
That depends on what bridge you're fishing. ;) </font>[/QUOTE]exactly my point!! those familiar with the TI bridge know its a no fishing bridge...thus my question about casting...as for the rocks there, can I just drop a line down at the bottom of the rocks or will that get lost in the waves crashing up against them. Thanks for giving me tips guys.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
yea,tony is a class act.have had the pleasure of fishing with him many times and have leared something new everytime.,matt

1 - 20 of 77 Posts