BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off you make a nice looking product. How did you learn this? Is there a course/book etc. others can use to learn this? Do you sell any you make? Finally, and most important, How do you set your rig up? (If thats a secret, no problem I understand). I tie a dropper loop about a foot down a 2 1/2 to 3 ft. piece of leader line or flurocarbone line. I can then just loop a teaser through the eye, so I can change teasers quickly, or sometimes I will put the teaser on the line, form my loop, thread the tag end through, then split the line, pass the teaser through, then cinch up the loop. The problem is that the teaser is tied into the actual loop, and cannot be changed w/o cutting the loop and ruining the rig. Are these the only ways to do a teaser rig, or is there something better. I usually use a commercially made teaser and have no problem with them, but I like to make my own rigs/hopefully teasers soon for personal satisfaction. It's a good feeling to make your own stuff and then catch fish with it. Thanks for any info/help you provide, or wish to reveal. I don't want to be to nosy, or have you think I'm trying to steal your ideas/secrets. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Learned first from my uncle years ago.

The best fly tying book to learn from IMHO is Bob Popovics - POP FLEYES. Its like my bible

Bob's theory is a fly should be easy to tie and realistic - and he is the master at creating flies as far as Im concerned.

I dont sell any cause I dont have a tax id - I give them to guys who take me out fishing or trade for plugs

the only secrets I keep are my spots

I rig via dropper loop and then loop through the eye and over. I dont like free swinging teasers and the inherent tangles. The teaser post in surf fishing forum has a bunch of different ways guys rig em - I only rig as mentioned.

Down your way, check out SJCFA - a bunch of great guys and they will gladly show ya.

Or if you dont want to do the club thing or cant make meetings, I'll be tying this winter and you are welcome to come up to Hightstown and I'll teach you.

Mullaney

[ 09-18-2005, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
MOST OF MY BUCKTAILS ARE BOUGHT AT THE FLY SHOW IN SOMERSET EACH WINTER

I HAVE DIED SOME - MY NEIGHBOR IS A DEER HUNTER -- I GIVE HIM STRIPER AND HE DOES THE TAILS FOR ME - SPLITS, DEBONES, SALTS HEAVILY...

WHEN I DID IT I USED CAN USE RIT DYE FOR A YELLOW- SOME PEOPLE USE SUGAR FREE JELLO - THINK HOW BAD THAT STUFF STAINS YER CLOTHES

THE MOST IPORTANT THING....

*****CLEAN IT GOOD, REAL GOOD - GETTING THE OILS OUT IS PARAMAOUNT TO THE DIE HOLDING

1 - 5 of 5 Posts