BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys use bowling pin type teasers? If you do, do you like them and are they worth the money? Also, what do you think about dredges with artificial soft body mullet or hoo's, any info on these two types of teasers would be great.......oh, if anybody has used a CHUMCHUCKER, how well does it work and do you like them....with the price of fuel skyrocketing, anything that will bring more fish to the boat and add consitency is prolly worth it in the end

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The CHUMCHUCKER is worth its weight in gold..or maybe I should say diesel. It is the best investment you can make if you are going to be chunking on a regular basis. Do a search here and you will find plenty of info and pics on it. It frees you up from the mundane task of throwing chunks all night and lets you do more important things like working the lines, catching live bait, hand feeding lines with the bait etc. When you got fish on or around the boat it keeps working, if people get tired it keeps working, and never forgets to throw the chunks on a consistent basis.

Bowling pins and dredges are probably only worth getting into if you are billfishing. If you are tuna fishing and want to run some simple teasers you can get by with some simple squid chains.If you are running a bunch of spreader bars these are your teasers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Regarding the teasers, go to Jim's Bait and Tackle in Cape May and pick up a knock off gooney bird/bowling pin teaser for 20 bucks. I just got another one this weekend, as the one I had last year was so effective. They are about 8-9" long and painted to look like a mahi or other bonito.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The bowling pin style teasers are more or less for billfishing.

If I was going to run all-purpose teasers i would run.

1) Squid chain off a rigger
2) Ballyhoo Strip dredge

When you run a teaser you have to think "match the hatch" for the fish targeted.

The larger teasers: fish fender, bowling pin, and large style plungers are made to mimic one single large bonito/skippie/mahi/Falsy or a small group. Primarily Marlin target these as well as sharks if you are unlucky. Maybe a BIG tuna but not often...these get dunked when trolling for big bills.

Squid chains, surface hook-less bars, ballyhoo dredges are all-purpose really. Guys fishing for White Marlin will run squid chains and a dredge usually. They often complain they get covered up with tuna...should tell you something right there.

Squid is the candy of the see, nothing will ever turn its nose up at a squid splashing distressed on the surface.

The strip teaser dredges are awesome. Love the look underwater. We've had small schools of tuna following the dredge before. When we saw, we cranked in the flat and whammo. I really like the big crankbait style weight.

I believe we purchased our dredge from tournament cable.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
One of the best teasers for White Marlin is a big thick eel about 20" long and 1-1/2" thick. We run it off our rigger about 10' out from the boat and put a flat line with a bally right ahead and inside of it. Whites come up on the eel and whack the heck out of it and then eat the eel plus 5 or 6' of the parachute cord we use to pull it.

You can tip the flat line rod out and drop that bait back to the point you almiost stick the fish in the eye with the bally's tail. Get a strong guy on the eel tow line and while the bally is right next to the White's eye, YANK the eel away from him.

They light up and BITE! Plus the whole thing happens within 15' of the cockpit. Neat!

We used one eel for three seasons before he got too beat up and we gave him an honorable burial at sea.

The eels drag upside down so the white belly side is up and the two dark sides are down. That gives good contrast. The tail flipping drives you nuts though since it looks just like a White's bill sticking out of the water when it flips up.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll prolly be picking up a artificial mullet or hoo' dredge and the pins (ive used the strip dredges and didnt really like it all that much)...they seem like they work good, right now I use bigger plunger style lures (13-18inches) as my teasers and they seem to bring whites, blues and tuna..I also run a witchdoctor, and surprisingly that thing works great for tuna, we have also had packs of tuna chasing that thing down, even lil guys will...as to splash bars(squid bars), I dont really have too much success on them, yeah I've caught tuna on them, but my zukers, squids, cedars, and ballyhoo catch many many more fish for me...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jbones11 said:
The CHUMCHUCKER is worth its weight in gold..or maybe I should say diesel. It is the best investment you can make if you are going to be chunking on a regular basis. Do a search here and you will find plenty of info and pics on it. It frees you up from the mundane task of throwing chunks all night and lets you do more important things like working the lines, catching live bait, hand feeding lines with the bait etc. When you got fish on or around the boat it keeps working, if people get tired it keeps working, and never forgets to throw the chunks on a consistent basis.

Bowling pins and dredges are probably only worth getting into if you are billfishing. If you are tuna fishing and want to run some simple teasers you can get by with some simple squid chains.If you are running a bunch of spreader bars these are your teasers.
Do you ever have issues with it gettin in the way while trying to gaff a fish? seems like its sorta bulky..I think if I bought it I would stick it off the transom, where do you put it???

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If your tuna fishing stick with the smaller daisy chain like teasers. Most times when tuna fishing we don't even pull teaser's as they get eaten when we keep boat moving trying to get multiple hook ups. had a bigeye send a squid chain into the flybridge when it pulled from his mouth. Was like a sling shot lauched it in. We also had 5 eyeballs on so it was worth it and I didn't have to reel that teaser in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey, I already have an itchy trigger finger ... believe me, I don't need that to make me totally nuts! :D I just use two different color squid daisy chains. Used to use a Witch Dr. with some mixed results.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We have our Chumchucker set up to hook onto the covering board by the portside tower leg. We do have a long cockpit but it does not get in the way. The machine itself is super. Well made and does the job.

If anyone buys one though, talk to them about having only a single scoop on the belt and shave even the one scoop down. We also found that it works best if we only fill it about half full at a time so it doesn't throw too much.

·
Registered
717 Posts
"The CHUMCHUCKER is worth its weight in gold..or maybe I should say diesel. It is the best investment you can make if you are going to be chunking on a regular basis."

I disagree. If you only chunk once a year its worth it.......

As for teasers…… If you are targeting sails, whites, or blues ONLY, and you have a good captain & a GREAT angler go for it! Otherwise don’t bother… If it ant got a hook in it don’t belong in the water…

Come down to the Dominican where you can get 10 to 15 shots a day to “sharpen your hooks on” the bait and switch method but for up north where a tuna bight is what most are after and the bill fishing is either for a tournament or a by-catch while tuna fishing its just not worth it…….. just my 2 cents

blue, size12...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
swab1985 said:
Do you ever have issues with it gettin in the way while trying to gaff a fish? seems like its sorta bulky..I think if I bought it I would stick it off the transom, where do you put it???
Not at all. It is tied off at the furthest point away from the back of the boat. I would not recommend tying it off to the transom or you will def have an issue with it and it will get in the way. You also need to think ahead about where you are getting your power from.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My chumchucker line is mounted on my spring cleat . The second rope goes to a piece of dowel on a rod older. It works like a charm and never forgets to chunk even while we are fighting a fish.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The power supply isn't a issue for us...how does this chumchuker hold up on the rough nights, is it still usuable

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info... how much do the motors go for? I'm def. ordering one of these things up....we do a lot of chunking and it seems like a good buy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts