BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like the opinion of other surf guys. What do you keep your teasers in when storing them in your surf bag? Currently I just have them in the little bags they came in and I was wondering if there is a storage container or tote specifically made for the job. It seems like a hassle trying to get them in and out of the little plastic bags. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Mine are in heavy duty clear plastic bag that a plug came in. That is folded over and inside 2 zip lock bags. I have been fishing on sandbars with my bag constainly being hit by waves and they stay dry. And it easily slides between the tubes and the bag

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine are in heavy duty clear plastic bag that a plug came in. That is folded over and inside 2 zip lock bags. I have been fishing on sandbars with my bag constainly being hit by waves and they stay dry. And it easily slides between the tubes and the bag
I second what Rhino said. Your only reasonable alternate option is to get a small watertight fly box which will keep them nice, neat and dry, but unless you have a tackle bag with some large pockets, you will probably find that method to be more of a pain then just using the double zip lock bags. :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i have a couple stuffed in my waders, some crammed in the small pouch of my plug bag, and a couple small plastic bags with the mass majority loaded up. treat them terribly.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
why be afraid to get them wet? mine are just on pre tied leaders, stuffed in my bag. will be in a leader wallet this year.

·
Registered
347 Posts
why be afraid to get them wet? mine are just on pre tied leaders, stuffed in my bag. will be in a leader wallet this year.
I'm not afraid to get them wet, but a couple times I did get them wet in the bag and forgot to chech them. This resulted in a nasty, molded worthless teaser. I believe that was the last time that I used a hook that wasn't stainless steel.:)

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I will stick with the original bags but I like the idea of putting them in a zip lock bag to keep them dry. I will try that.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Must be one of those fly fisher types.:D Sorry Farrell, had to say it.

haha i DO plan to fly fish more this year...even though i said that last year too. i got a smaller bag that doesn't have a pouch like my bigger bag had for leaders...and the smaller bag came with a leader wallet so why not. will be good to hold teasers, leaders, hooks, whatever. it will come in handy on the kayak too.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Two great storage containers that I use are the Altoids aluminum tins, and crystal light plastic singles containers both are pretty water tight, the Altoids tin is what I carry in my small plug bag.

·
Registered
347 Posts
haha i DO plan to fly fish more this year...even though i said that last year too. i got a smaller bag that doesn't have a pouch like my bigger bag had for leaders...and the smaller bag came with a leader wallet so why not. will be good to hold teasers, leaders, hooks, whatever. it will come in handy on the kayak too.
Yeah, I use them as well. I was just busting your chops. :D I use a small wallet for my freshwater stuff and for my saltwater stuff I use one thats the size of a rather large checkbook. Holds a lot of crap, but I still keep it in a ziplock.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i got the aquaskinz one, so it has "ziplocks" in it, made of some heavy duty plastic. we will see how it holds up and if i am still using it by next fall....im not holding my breath.

·
Registered
914 Posts
i got the aquaskinz one, so it has "ziplocks" in it, made of some heavy duty plastic. we will see how it holds up and if i am still using it by next fall....im not holding my breath.
I use a small container that I got at the Container Store. There's one in Cherry Hill. The top one on the right is the one I use.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
There's many, good waterproof fly boxes and leader wallets out there. Umpqua just came out with a new, translucent waterproof fly box series. Otter has some and the Orvis foam boxes, although not waterproof, are almost weightless. For my boat stock of flies, I buy pastic envelopes from a packaging supply store, U-line. Large, saltwater leader wallets would work well for pre leadered teasers.
"Why keep them dry", Many materials tend to lose there color as they sit wet. Flash's can get "dull" and head cements and epoxies tend to get cloudy if they remain wet. I'd much rather pull out a fresh, clean, bright and neat fly than an old wet malformed less than pristine offering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts