BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start tying some teasers this winter. Can anyone give me a heads up as to what materials I need to purchase, hook sizes, and how to finish them off with epoxy??

I have a vise that Ive been tying freshwater for a while and should suffice for now, right? My skills arent great but I can tie some ugly looking nymphs that the trout love.

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ryan,
My number one teaser for the past few years is very simple. Start with a Mustad signature series Tarpon hook #C68S SS in size 2/0. Tie in four hackles praying hands style as you would in a Deceiver. Add a couple strands of FlashABou down each side and trim just longer than the hackle tips.
Tie in the tips of two long fluffy hackle and palmer forward wet fly style. Whip fininsh and a drop of cement and you are done.

As far as epoxy goes, I finish my deceivers with an epoxy coating over the eyes on most larger than size 1. I have succesfully used deceivers as surf teasers as well. Virtually all of my surf fishing is done under the cover of darkness, so a beutifull deceiver is not needed to fool a fish into eating.
I do like grizzzly hackle with a squirell tail collar as another simple deceiver.
For materials(color exempt) Get some Mustad C68S SS in 1/0 and 2/0 and S71S SS in 1-3/0 for your deceivers. Ewing Deceiver Patchs will give you the best hackle for the money. Bucktail, some flash and you are ready to go.
Have fun this winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts