BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out all my tuna trolling rigs. Put the hook on my weight bench (at least it is getting use) and attached the hoop of the mono to a manley 50 lb pull scale. I tested them one at a time. 4 of 50 snapped. 2 of the four were used many times. All crimp failures. I redid them and tested them again. I even did the spreaders and daisy chains.......

Tonight I'm gonna do the shark rigs!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Was it "crimp" failure or failure to crimp correctly? If the leader broke, then the crimp had not swaged the leader correctly and caused a nick or tear in the leader.

Perhaps your brand of crimp has burrs inside at the ends where the piece is cut off. Check that.

Don't over squeeze the crimper either.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
The first thing I did after having a crimp let go was to retest all connections. Then I purchased new crimps, crimp tools, and matched them closely to the leaders. Then i tested again. Yes over crimping is worse then undercrimping...BUT atleast bringing in a broken line is acceptable. IF your crimp lets go, you'll never hear the end of it. (OF course) all fish that get off were world record size:D:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
also one note when crimping, make sure you pinch the crimp in the middle of the sleeve and not on the outsides. By squeezing the outsides of the crimps, the crimp can potentially chafe the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts