BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had 3092 deaths attributed to cell phone distracted drivers last year. That’s on average 60 people form each state. Ive done it too, which is way more dangerous than fishing offshore. By far.

We had 10,000 people die in alcohol related deaths. About 200 per state. Im not saying I have ever done this when I was younger, but Im not saying I haven’t. This too, is very not so smart.
32,000 in car accidents. 600 per state. I have been in a car accident. Not by choice. I didn’t like it much, so now I try to stay offshore where cars cant get me.
71% of lung cancer has been directly attributed to smoking. And Lung cancer kills 158,000 (that’s six zeros) deaths a year. My mom was one of them, in the end it was quite bad to watch her gasp for air. I don’t judge though, just saying. But that’s 112,000 preventable deaths… And yes, Ive smoked a cigarette, but the good news is that smoking on small boats is hard as the spray puts them out, its hard to light them, and the tuna shakes and gets water all over the ciggys, rendering them useless.

Guess how many boaters were lost last year in NJ boating accidents? 8 (eight).
Almost always, the headlines look like this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/10/new-york-boat-accident-4-dead-2-injured_n_894298.html
You just don’t read about too many people dying offshore tuna fishing….. And I’ll take being out there in most normal conditions over staying in the river and near the coast with all the yahoos anyday. Have you ever seen a crowded inlet on a weekend.
After reading this its become apparent to me that in order to maximize the probability of a long life, I need to fish offshore more. That tuna is rich in Omega 3’s btw. :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I like your reasoning:thumbsup:.

There's lots that can get us everywhere and anywhere. If it's my time to go I suppose I'd rather be swimming with the fishies in cobalt blue seas than be squashed like a bug on a minivan grille while the soccer mom texts OMG! to all her BFFs. Who knows, maybe George Clooney will make a movie about me someday:D.

I lost my father last year to lung cancer. It was not an easy thing to watch. Yes, he was a chain smoker for many years.

·
Registered
602 Posts
HEY!

every day you fish is a day not taken off your life (or something like that).

"...now I try to stay offshore where cars cant get me." :D

f'n hilarious!

love being out there...it's the best thing ever.
can't wait....is it May yet?

soon friends.................soon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now I just need to get my doctor to prescribe me more fishing so my wife has nothing to complain about. Although it does get hard to hear her that far out LOL

·
Registered
577 Posts
Stats are misleading. Your more likely to get hit by lightning that bit by a shark. Even when I jump in the water to film sharks in my slick my odds of getting bit are the same as a guy who never left Nebraska. Statistics!!

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
couldnt agree more,
fishing is healthy on the mind, just not on the wallet

·
Registered
924 Posts
knock on wood

hope we all have a safe season and not be a statistic but that is alot to ask for 0 deaths per year.I hope preparation and maintenance and planed weather for trips is all it takes to remain a safe boater.seems some of the accidents revolve around a bad decisision and poor judgement.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ahh heck ... I was trying to stay with my small boat but being in the health field of work you are now convincing me I need a bigger boat someday! :D

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I hate stats.. It is bull.. Stats are like unions, they loop everyone in a herd.. If you have successfully fished offshore for a time YOU ARE NOT PART OF ANY HERD!!! Your a different breed, one that is more cautious, yet compelled to compete with yourself, against the grain and prolly enjoy being "a lil different".. Forget Stats unless you logged them personally..... :):)

I always did say, I fear having my kids in the car on the GSP MUCH more than fishin with them offshore... Far more, not even compariable...

·
Registered
453 Posts
agreed the things you listed are bad....but don't confuse mortality rates with mortality counts.

still a good bargaining point and I like your train of thought :)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You feel like a $1,000,000 bucks when the boat gets underway on a beautiful early morning. Doctor's can't prescribe anything to match that, it alone is the best medicine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts