BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what style rig you guys think is more practical for fishing offshore out of cape may. I have fished my uncles 31 shamrock exspress my whole life so I'm partial to that style boat never fished a CC offshore before. Im trying to figure out what type of boat will work best for me and my budget would like to be able to save as much money as possible factoring in everything fuel maintenance comfort ride speed ect. Your info is greatly appreciated thanks fellas.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Depends what you're looking to fish for.

We fish a 30' Albemarle. Great boat. We've had it for 10 years and she's gotten us there/back faithfully. Burns 150-170 gallons on a canyon trip.

There's a couple things you need to consider:

- Budget. Is a diesel boat going to break the bank for you?
- Do you like to fish inshore? We can't get into skinny water to fish for bass, bay fish, etc. Therefore, we also have a 23' CC
- Do you mind being wet, out in the rain?
- Do you plan on doing a lot of casting to fish?

Personally, I love diesels. To me there's nothing better to get you back home i less than good weather.

If you were looking for an all-around boat...I'd say go with the Reg/Yellowfin. However, if you're looking to dedicate something 90% to offshore...go with the Classic/Albemarle/Henriques

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
If you want speed and you don't mind the exposure, get the CC.

If you don't mind a slower ride and like the protection and a clean transom, get the twin diesel Henriq's.

Twin diesel expresses are tough to beat and is the way I'd go.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Yep, Jay...the question posted is innocent in and of itself. The problem is...it's FEBRUARY!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure!

FELLOWS, PLEASE HAVE FUN AND DEBATE AWAY!

PLEASE MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER BY WITHHOLDING FROM ANY NAME CALLING!

Ding Ding

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Yep, Jay...the question posted is innocent in and of itself. The problem is...it's FEBRUARY!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure!

FELLOWS, PLEASE HAVE FUN AND DEBATE AWAY!

PLEASE MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER BY WITHHOLDING FROM ANY NAME CALLING!

Ding Ding

Too funny! I was thinking the same thing. This has been beaten to death on just about every board.

I wish I had the smiley face eating popcorn.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
As long as you dont mind getting wet,and not being able to have a conversation,and dont mind sleeping and getting wet go center console

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If your no pansy, tuff, enjoy a physical days work and don't squat to pee then get the CC..

If your lil fingers get coldies, and you get wind burn on your lil cheekies, you should prolly should get the express.

LOL - that may be my best yet...

All whoknow me know I am 95% kidding...

Whatever you choose, I do have some pointers.
  • Get one you can afford to maintain AND RUN alone. no matter what your friends say now many will not come up with funds or time come time to go
  • Pertaining to the above, when you did get some chipins, what usually gets split is the fuels costs. So paying less for a boat that burns a lil more makes alot of sense here. Don't split hairs on fuel burn
  • Regardless of what most say, less the cabin, a comparable CC is as comfortable as a SF. Again less the cabin and it's amenities. Those sportfishes relative to your CC will be at the dock the same days you are usually. What I am saying is relatively speaking, you don't get many more fishing days out of a SF. It is too rough to be comfortable in a CC it is to rough to be comfortable in a comparable SF. However, if your gotta go now no matter what, SF is your choice here. They are safer in a big sea, from the standpoint of "swamping" the boat.
  • in trully big water IB do have the advantage over OBs. Torque being one but not "blowing out" is another..
  • It is real nice and a huge cost savings to be able to trailer the boat home for the off season. Working on it in your backyard is priceless.
  • Maintenace is close in my experience. To trully keep OB's right takes time and money too, so don't think by going OB your slipping MAINT costs. Maybe a lil but not signifigant.
  • Having lil ones I do wish they could get out of the sun more than on my CC. However, in full disclosure I still have my Pops 29 Topaz for that. Which if you can find a good one ois a great boat!
  • If your prone to seasickness, your prolly less likely to get sick in a CC. This seems true to many that I had experience with and even yours trully. I do not know the science behind it but it seems true. Maybe due to everything in your pheripheral vision moving around. Or maybe it has something to do with why we get ill when in tight quarters. Dunno but again it seems true.
Some of my thoughts... Get wat makes sense to you sir...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Again this discussion goes back to cost, speed and comfort. Pick two you cant have all three. If you want comfort and speed, well it's going to cost you.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If your no pansy, enjoy a physical days work and don't squat to pee then get the CC..

If your lil fingers get coldies, and you get wind burn on your lil cheekies, you should prolly should get the express.

On a serious note, like Bear said before:

If I lost my job, couldn't afford squat. I'd buy whatever was in my means to get me fishing.

Aside from that, personal preference.

Hey...there's one thing our Albemarle doesn't have that those CC's do. 30kt+ cruise.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lots of use factors should really drive your decision.

I have a 28 Carolina Classic out of Cape May and it is what fits for me, my fishing style, and my family.

A big difference between a CC and a SF is weight. My rig when loaded for off shore is 16,500 LBS. I have a twin CUMMINS 6BTAs at 330 HP each so I generally cruise 26-28 knots and get about 1.4 NMPG on average. I have special props and a clean bottom and have max'd out at 36 knots WOT on flat seas, but it is sucking down fuel then. Generally, the seas don’t allow for a comfortable ride above 28 knots on most days.

I fish a lot of inshore with the family and D-BAY in spring and late fall for Stripers. When the wind is blowing, having the enclosure is great, especially on those NOV/early DEC nights chunking stripers. It gets you out of the wind and that alone can be a huge comfort issue.

Maintenance is a trade-off since the boat is either in the water or dry dock winter storage at the marina. I do most of the work myself, but having previously owned a trailer boat, it is a lot easier to do the work in the driveway as time is available.

Most SF are not great on the drift and you will rock and roll a lot more than a CC.

Early spring and late fall when the campground isn’t open, I also sleep on the boat with up to 3 people. 2 is comfortable, 3 is tight, but the cabin is heated and we have everything we need without being exposed to the elements. Carolina finally went to an optional bunk configuration on the 28 that now sleeps 4.

Carlonia Classic customer service is also incredible and very unique in the industry. I regularly call the factory and talk to Mac or Keith when ever I have a question or need a part. Even though Albe recently bought CC, Mac is still running the show and nothing has changed.

To me, I feel more confident off-shore and in snotty conditions in a SF because of the weight and beam. This past November, I was about 25 miles out wrecking around the Jacob Jones. The weather turned to crap about 8 hours earlier than forecasted, so we headed in early. At the time we passed the DB buoy, it was recording 32 knot winds out of the NE and 9 foot seas at 6 seconds, also out of the NE. Going out it was flat calm and we ran 28 knots. Coming back it was almost 2 hrs averaging 12-15 knots. Despite having to run 25 miles against almost a beam sea (very slight head sea orientation) with the wind continually throwing all the spray back across the boat, I never felt in danger and we were dry inside the cockpit because of the enclosure. I am not saying a CC couldn’t handle it, but it would have been a much wetter ride.

It all boils down to what you want to be able to do both on and with the boat.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
BEAR is right with this , i hate wind burn and getting wet or having to dress like a big condom, im a expess or acualy a sportfish guy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
BEAR is right with this , i hate wind burn and getting wet or having to dress like a big condom, im a expess or acualy a sportfish guy:thumbsup:
Well, as long as your a big orange condem with Gruden straps your OK. However, those white Grudens guys you got to wonder bout.... :D

If I had the funds I would make us all agree and buy a 33 L&H fisharound.. It is the best of both IMHO.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I ofeten wonder the same question.

35-38 express or 36 yellowfin?

two toatlly differnt boats if yo like trolling imo you get the express. If you bottom fish more the most definatl get the CC. Since I like both its even harder.

Maintence is much less both in time and money on the CC probaly half. NOt as much stuff to fix on a CC vs a express BOAT. There's more to work on then just the engines if you want to keep the boat right!

Engines a little less maintence also on outboards.

·
Registered
334 Posts
carolina classic 35

Get the C. Classic with twin 600 cummins. center console speed with all the comforts. 30 - 32 kt cruise. if you don't mind burning some fuel.:D

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
i like my cc but there's days when sometimes i wish i had an express boat
cc are definitely easier to maintain and easier to operate with a two man crew, this is the main reason why i have a cc since its usually just two guys aboard.
Also, i think a 30ft express requires much more maintenance than a cc of the same size, just my opinion

all that being said if i can ever get a bigger crew together my dream boat would be a 36 albemarle

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Do you plan to overnight on the boat? If so, it weighs heavily towards the express. I love center consoles, but i personally do not like overnighting on them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts