BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure to fish with Capt Chris Gatley (Ardent Angler Guide service),Craig (aka In Depth) from the BASSBARN and Chris's neighbor TJ (what a great young fisherman).Capt Chris Launched his boat from the municipal ramp in Keyport.Our plan was to target deep water fluke in Raritan Bay with jigs and bait.We netted roughly 30 mullet in the 3 inch range prior to fishing.We also got our share of live snappers on small gold Kassmasters.Capt Chris headed east & we found some birds working near West Bank light at first we thought they were small Blues but they were schoolie bass.After that we switched over to Fluke fishing.Capt Chris focused much of his time on the Butterfly jigging technique promoted lately by Shimano.This innovative style of jigging yielded no fish but not by lack of effort.Chris thought that the jigging technique is too fast a retrieve for fluke.The best bait on Sat was live mullet,hands down.Our ratio of keepers to throwbacks was 1 keeper for 14 fluke.We kept three fluke that exceeded the NY regulations.In all,a good day and an educational one at that !

Below are a few of the Butterfly jigs from Shimano.

I want to thank Capt Chris Gatley for taking me out on his awesome 23 Ft Black Lab.Chris I watched the DVD on Butterfly jigging Sat night.Awesome man !

Art

[ 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thanks Art-

I had fun as did TJ and CRaig. TJ came home to a huge bag of plastics, line, scents and other stuff my wife has been trying to get out of my house. We never found the big fish bite but we gave it hell

thanks again

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I don't know what i could possibly add that Art hasn't said already , good report.
We never did get into the large but i had a blast as i new i would .
Art it was great finaly meeting you . i can't wait for next time.

Now about those butterfly jigs, i agree they are to fast a presentation for flatties but i think thats about all that there to fast for. There gonna be deadly on trout and bass when they turn on to metal out front. I gotta stock up.

Hey did TJ get all the mud out from between his toes....LOL He's a good kid, kinda reminds me of me at that age , with one exception ! I wasn't fishing with crews like we had today when i was 13 ....! He's gonna be a good one. Actualy he already is , he's just gonna get better.

Chris ,
It's rare that we ever get the chance to fish in the same boat together so today was great ! We caught god only knows how manny flounder, even if most were on the short side. And the crew ...well that goes without saying.

Thanx dude

[ 08-08-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by pmjasper:
I wouldn't mind trying for some large flatties out near Ambrose Channel, not in it though.

Does Chris have a large bait tank on the boat, large enough for live snappers perhaps?? Gotta get out soon.

Phil
[email protected]
Chris has an awesome live well system on board.We netted our baits and they stayed live the whole trip.Phil maybe we can finally meet one another and do a trip with Chris in the near future.

Art

·
Registered
373 Posts
Meeting up sounds like a good idea. I'd like that. My girlfriend enjoys fishing as well. She got two keepers and plenty of shorts on Sunday. I tried some whole, freshly caught dead snappers but they don't work as well as live snappers. Just no way to keep them alive on the party boat. Skunked on them but managed to salvage the day with one keeper right before the final toot of the horn to go back in.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The Gatley's have fishing in the blood. Here's Chris' brother Mike at his wedding a few weeks ago. Hey Chris - summer pattern in CM is hot -call me if you want to hook up.
Tom

[ 08-11-2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Never Better ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.