BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing how good the crabbing is so instead of of going fishing in the Grady and catching nothing I decided to take my 14fter out crabbing. I had my daughter who wants to keep everything over 3 inches and her boyfriend. WE had another 5 or 6 people who were using box traps at the bulkhead heading into Sea Isle. We headed up one of the small creeks toward the parkway. Most crabs were too small we only had about 3 over 5 inches and the rest were barely legal. I think when the fishing proves to be slow these guys who own bait stores start to claim the crabbing is great and vise versa.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The crabbing behind SIC is spotty at best. Small pockets produce well, but I highly doubt any of the tackle shops on the Island have a clue of where they are. All the places in SIC have guys behind the counter who never actually leave the counter, so they have no clue how or where to catch anything! I realize you have your own boat, but every time I have rented a boat from Frank's in Strathmere or Larsen's (opposite 42nd street SIC) they have known where to send customers. On that note, give Ludlam's bay a try. Find a creek off the main bay and I'm sure you'll do much better! Good luck!

[ 08-01-2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: TI Guys ]

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there done that. I have been crabbing behind Sea Isle for 40 yrs., and it's very rare to get more then 18 nice crabs. It just bites me that when the fishing proves to be slow they start saying the crabbing is great. I guess I can't blame them they have to make a living.

[ 08-02-2005, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: DRIFTER1 ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by DRIFTER1:
Been there done that. I have been crabbing behind Sea Isle for 40 yrs., and it's very rare to get more then 18 nice crabs. It just bites me that when the fishing proves to be slow they start saying the crabbing is great. I guess I can't blame them they have to make a living.
I can't argue there. If anyone has suggestions on better areas to crab in Cape May County, I'd love to hear them!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I got a good report that the crabbing was pretty good a few miles north of SIC Sunday afternoon...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was out behind Stone Harbor for three hours
Wed. afternooon. Kept three dozen, most were
real nice crabs. I threw lots more back.
Just my daughter and I and two hand lines and
two baskets.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
we caught a bushel sat morn, 4 dozen of them, were the biggest jersey crabs i have ever caught.not our best trip but the biggest of our 5 trips this year. been a very good season so far this year ,compared to th elast two seasons. not in si but btill. keep on trying , dont be afraid to move around a nd find them. bb

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Crabbed behind Sea Isle Saturday afternoon and got 51 large crabs and dozen shedders
top of the tide ---Ludlam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts