BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dredging has started off Reedy Point, Delaware.:mad: It is really bad timing. Just when the big the stripers will be coming in the river to spawn soon. They will be dredging for seven years. I see nothing good coming from this for watermen and fishermen. They are going to dump the dredge spoils in south Jersey.:thumbsdown: My only hope is that NJ and Delaware can stop this train wreck.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
politicians are all friggin scum...there is no stopping them..they do whatever they want....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have tons and tons of questions about how exactly this will affect the spring bass spawn. I imagine that the Bass will not be detered by the dredging and will still swim up the river and spawn. The pure size of the bay/river compared to the disturbance (dredge hitting the sand) will allow the bass to pass (just my guess). Right now they are dredging down south and spawning happens further north. Will the contaminents that are loosened or disturbed travel to the spawning sites and kill eggs or young, more fragile bass?

So my guess (uneducated mind you) is that the bass will spawn despite the dredge operations but the contamination might contribute to major loss of eggs or young fish. This will be hard to guage probably and not be felt for a couple of years. Not good.

It's a shame though cause Im all about bringing work to the north east. But this isn't a good trade.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have tons and tons of questions about how exactly this will affect the spring bass spawn. I imagine that the Bass will not be detered by the dredging and will still swim up the river and spawn. The pure size of the bay/river compared to the disturbance (dredge hitting the sand) will allow the bass to pass (just my guess). Right now they are dredging down south and spawning happens further north. Will the contaminents that are loosened or disturbed travel to the spawning sites and kill eggs or young, more fragile bass?

So my guess (uneducated mind you) is that the bass will spawn despite the dredge operations but the contamination might contribute to major loss of eggs or young fish. This will be hard to guage probably and not be felt for a couple of years. Not good.

It's a shame though cause Im all about bringing work to the north east. But this isn't a good trade.
This is my uneducated answer; this will not have much of an effect on the fishery. The fish will avoid the disturbance and move safely past the operations. As far as the eggs are concerned it’s my understanding that stripers will spawn out up river and the river water moves down stream so I’m not sure how any debris will ever make it up stream. I may be totally off and please correct me but this is my take on it.

No I have a question, why are they dredging it anyway and why does Rendell want it so bad?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is my uneducated answer; this will not have much of an effect on the fishery. The fish will avoid the disturbance and move safely past the operations. As far as the eggs are concerned it’s my understanding that stripers will spawn out up river and the river water moves down stream so I’m not sure how any debris will ever make it up stream. I may be totally off and please correct me but this is my take on it.

No I have a question, why are they dredging it anyway and why does Rendell want it so bad?
Mark, my take on Rendell's push for this to happen is to I guess widen and deepen the channel so ships (More) can navigate up river. I could be wrong on this though. I cant see any other reason why....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Fishhard, but then the younger/weaker fish will have to make it back though the contaiminated area. What % will not be strong enough?

Thats just my guess about the bass. The dredging must be tough on the fish that reside (full time) in the area being dredged.

The current will keep most of the channel clear but the silt will lay at the bottom of the channel and make it shallower over time. I think the ultimate goal was to make it deep enough to support the newer oil tankers that transfer their load to bardges because they are too big to take it right to the offload docks.

Are there any stats on what exactly the impact are? The dware river has been dredged many times. What did it do to the fish populations?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Mark, my take on Rendell's push for this to happen is to I guess widen and deepen the channel so ships (More) can navigate up river. I could be wrong on this though. I cant see any other reason why....
Yo BP hows it going? That would be the only good reason why i would say. THis is the 3rd season saying it but we have to meet up and plug LBI this spring.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Fishhard, but then the younger/weaker fish will have to make it back though the contaiminated area. What % will not be strong enough?

Thats just my guess about the bass. The dredging must be tough on the fish that reside (full time) in the area being dredged.

The current will keep most of the channel clear but the silt will lay at the bottom of the channel and make it shallower over time. I think the ultimate goal was to make it deep enough to support the newer oil tankers that transfer their load to bardges because they are too big to take it right to the offload docks.

Are there any stats on what exactly the impact are? The dware river has been dredged many times. What did it do to the fish populations?

Ya I get what you are saying and it will have some effects but I don't think it will affect the entire bay but who knows, I would say the Rips and sounding areas will be affected and harmed the most.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
This area they are dredgeing now is north of Reedy point, this is a spawning area.:thumbsdown: Vote them all out and let them know why:thumbsup:

Striped bass season is closed April 1 – May 31 on spawning grounds which
include the Nanticoke River, C&D Canal, Delaware River north of the C&D Canal
including the south jetty of the Canal. No harvest, catch and release only; note

circle-hook requirement

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
i agree and hate it but like mentioned isnt it the channel there dredging and not the flats where the actuall spawning will take place?it will mess up rips more and inlet where it will mix more.only time i figure it will spread is when tide slows down.well just have eagles with no eggs again

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't know, I'm not very educated, but don't you think the fish would have to injest the contaminates in order to do any harm? I picture the stuff floating downstream and resettling on the bottom again? Wouldn't you have to introduce new contaminates to make things worse then they already are? Of course I don't even know how the asprin knows where to go. If my toe hurts how does it know to go there? If my head hurts how does it know to go there? Does any body really know (about the river, not the asprin)???:confused:

·
Banned
4,552 Posts
Dirty politics

yes they claim they can get large ships up the river to ports and increase port revenue and jobs. Rendell has does some underhanded things to push this project. When he was the lead of the Delaware River Port authority (rotates between states) he refused to allow a vote (until dredging is approved) on their budget which cost them more money in not being allowed to refinance some of their debt. Very dirty politics.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm gonna take some heat here with this post....

First I would like to say that I can't stand Eddy Rendel.

I really would like to hear what "science" you all have that this is going to actually affect the fishery.

If you complain that the Environment Wackos that are trying to shut down all rec fishing are using junk science, then you can't turn around and use junk science to say that dredging is bad. All you are doing is spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

The fact is, the channel needs to be deeper because the world is moving to HUGE ships. Camden and Philly in order to keep up have to be able to accommodate these larger ships.

Will this dredging really bring up "toxins" that are out there? (Are there toxins really in the sediment out there?) Maybe, maybe not. But I haven't heard any credible studies that prove this.

Just like I don't see any credible studies that say that Carbon dioxide really causes Global Warming (Or if Global Warming is really a problem.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Joe,

Unless they deepen the channel by 10+ feet they are wasting time and our money. Only deepening by 5 feet is not deep enough to get the super tankers up the river. So, they should do it right the 1st time or not do it at all regardless of what toxins may or may not be in the river bed. They do not want to listen and it seems they want to do it twice so they can get twice the amount of money. I am not for or against it but think, I just don't want our tax money wasted like they are already doing.

As for the fishery, there will probably be minimal impact in my opinion. What was the impact on it after the most recent oil spill a couple years ago?

Just my opinion - no need to bash if you do not agree

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
dredging is a waste of time cause first storm on river will back fill in the areas... total scam by rendel and pa. just ask the cm ferry they dredge every year and it fills in again. total waste of tax payer money as usual by our corrupt pollitions... maybe the dredge will have and accident, sink wiping out all involved:D i can only hope!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.