BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Wednesday and I could not wait to get home from work because my weekly copy of The Fisherman[New Jersey, Delaware Bay Edition] comes today!!! Am I the only one who cannot wait for it? No, I do not work for this mag but I love to read it cover-to-cover. This week is the Tuna Special. I've only be off-shore 2-3 times but I am still anxious to read the articles. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BEACHBASSARD, I am not from Millville but I have friend's from there. I don't get what you are trying to say? I guess you are trying to be funny but my post is serious. I live an hour from the shore and have other commitments with family and work. If I can't get to the shore to fish at least I can read about it. That's why most of us are on this forum to begin with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Beachbassard,
I was born in Millville. Whats your point.
You may be able to read faster than me but from your post I can tell your spelling needs a little help. I look forward to the Fisherman also but I only look at the pictures.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
WE HAVE A LOT OF MILLBILLY WHO ARE ON HERE OFTEN
THEY COME FROM MILLBILLYVILLE AND ARE GOOD GUYS.SAY HELLO JASON.ITS JUST BYPLAY AND DONE IN FUN AND I CAN'T SPELL EITHER.

CAPTHERSCH DO YOU STILL HAVE THE PICTURE OF THE MILLBILLY CONDO.

[ 08-04-2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I read it every week and enjoy the articles. I would also recommend the NJ Angler magazine as well, they have very well written articles and is a very good read. No, I am not associated with either mag - just think they are good reads to keep you going while youre not fishing - kinda like the BARN :D :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I subscribed to the fisherman mag a year ago. Reports from local bait shops would always say-"stripers, stripers everywhere, and the same with flounder and blues" but when I get down to the shore and ask the same bait shops how things are going, they would say "the fishing hasn't picked up yet, or they(the fish" haven't arrived yet. I know they need to make money to draw a crowd down there but, I would get really dissapointed after reading one thing and hearing something different from the same person. I know a couple of people who no longer subscribe for the same reason, don't get me wrong, the fisherman mag has a lot of good tips, information and pointers but truthful, and reliable fishing reports is one thing that I really wanted from the magazine. After I caught on I stopped subscribing. You have to admit that the April fools cover was funny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, It would be refreshing to hear just once,' There is nothing going on, don't bother coming down.' But, I guess that's never going to happen. So, you see if you can learn something from the articles and check here for the reports.

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
I used to subscribe. Save the copies. Seems like they just repeat themselves. All local fishing reports are about a week old at print.

The 'Barn' is the best fishing mag. for me. Same day service all day!

I'm also happy to pay for my Adv.

[ 08-05-2004, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
The reports are a week behind,tides change,weather change and that makes the fish bite differently
IF you really want to learn how to catch fish,check the tides on the previous week and find a similar week of tides to fish
Most of the time,except dead of winter,fish are here ,question is " can you catch them?" they DON'T bite 24/7
Magazine provides a guide on past results
That is why it is called FISHING and not CATCHING

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by FISHNFOOL:
BEACHBASSWARDS SAYS,
"AND IF THEY TAKE A POLL IM SURE I WILL BE DECLARED THE WORSTY SPELLER ON THE BARN"

Hooked On Phonics worked for me...LOL
I PRESEMBLE THOSE STATEMENTS.
I THINK THE FISHERMAN LIKE THE ANGLER ARE GREAT BUT THE FISHERMAN SHOULD JUST BE USED AS A PIECE OF INFO IN MAKING YOUR DECISION.THE FISHERMAN,NEWSPAPERS,TACKLE SHOPS,DOCK TALK ARE ALL A HELP SOME REPORTS ON THE BARN MIGHT BE A TOUCH BETTER.I THINK THE CELL AND THE VHF ON THE WAY OUT ARE KING BUT STILL A PIECE.THE NEWSPAPER IS THE SMALLEST PIECE CAUSE WHEN YOU ARE ADVERTIZING SAY IN THE DAILY NEWS WHICH IS VERY EXPENSIVE BUT WORKS IT GOES LIKE THIS. THE BARNER HAD THE BASS FAMILY FOR YELLOWFIN TO 60LBS--THAT MEANS THEY CAUGHT 1-45LB TUNA.ITS HARD TO SAY COME RENT MY BOAT TO FISH FOR SEA BASS BUT SEABASSIN STINKS.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wait do you mean there isnt always a blitz outside Betty and Nicks?? ;) :rolleyes:

Some shops are dead on and honest like scotts, other ones just dont get the info from the %10 who catch or havent been catching. They have to do what they have to do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice thread?particularly the first post (LOL) Thanks ?sic yakker?.

?All local fishing reports are about a week old at print.?

Nature of the beast?we print on Monday morning at 5:30 a.m., compile the reports the night before representing a week and weekend?s worth of action, the magazine starts getting to readers by Wednesday ? been that way since 1973. Internet provides immediacy, but there?s still no way around it when you?re printing as we do as a weekly.

?I would get really dissapointed after reading one thing and hearing something different from the same person.?

When we learn of inaccurate reports, we try to get to the bottom of it. We get a lot of information from a lot of shops and captains throughout the state ? this week was a slower week because of the weather, yet we still had 18,000 words worth of reports from around the state, so we have to deal with such ?indiscretions? on a case by case basis. On a whole, I know these guys are honest as the day is long, and we ask for the best possible information they can provide us.

Anytime you have anything to get off your chest, for reprint in the mag or off the record, we?re listening.

Jim Hutch, Jr.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
God, Me and my family have been getting the Fisherman since i was a lil boy, I still get excited to have some NEW reading material in the bathroom every Wed.....

For a while the mailman would read MY Fisherman mag, before me, he finally fessed up to that after he said he was retiring....LOL

·
Registered
32,744 Posts
HutchJr. - You have mail. By the way, I love the magazine. As for the reports, every time you go fishing you hear "Should have been here yesterday". That's just the way fishing is. My favorite part about the reports is finding out when certain species arrive in the Spring.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.