BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to say that I think I have all the ?hardware? I need for now. I usually end up spending a hundred or two on little things. I think I?ll be looking for tying materials, such as long saddles and bucktails in colors I don?t have. I always need hooks but when I get there I can?t remember what I need ? or if I write it down I can?t find the list. Last year I bought a ? Bugshirt?. Man is that a great thing! Two years ago I got 5 blanks from Clemens for $50. One was a Lami 8ft 15wt. Haven?t built that yet ? don?t want to have to buy a matching reel! I always enjoy watching tyers such as Jack Gartside tying his unique flies. Of course the best is taking in a seminar or two. Who?s going and when? What?s on your list? I?ll be at the booth Friday ?am. Might be back again on Sunday.

Dave D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Going to be looking for my usual tying material. I'm thinking of setting up an extremely inexpensive 10 wt outfit to leave at my inlaws so I will be looking for a deal on flyline. I may want to check out to see if someone will be displaying those new Pfluger Trion fly reels for that same outfit. I've seen them before at a fly shop but want to really pull it apart to see what makes it tick. So far it seems like a solid reel for the money.

I'll also be checking out the Albright fly rod line at their booth as I've heard good things about them.

And, like everyone else there I will be craming my body into the tiers isle to see what's new in flies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll be there at the booth on Saturday. Mostly tying stuff. Tungsten Powder, MOP Sili Skin, some of the transfer foil Steve F had at the last meeting. Any new materials that catch my eye, some hooks who knows what else. Hope to hit the daily number between now and then.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I was going to get a new 3wt fly rod, since my tried and true Three-Forks Cabelas rod broke while casting on my last trouting trip (chalk that up as rod casualty #6 for the 2003 season.... :rolleyes: ). But, checking out the Cabelas website today, I saw they had an awesome sale on St Croix Legend Ultra's. I couldn't resist. They took off $100 for the sale, plus an extra $50 I had in Cabelas Points (gotta love that Cabelas Visa :D ), and free shipping, so I ended getting a brand spanking new Legend Ultra 2wt with a hard case for, get this, $110. That's only a little more than I paid for the Three-Forks outfit about 5 years ago. I checked eBay, and they didn't even have that rod for that price. Now I'm happy :D . Plus it's got an unconditional lifetime warrantee, which I think I'm entitled to.....

Other stuff I absolutely NEED from the show: Estaz, fleece, Grade #1 saddles, necks, marabou, and good quality bucktail (probably from Kenney Abrahms booth, if he's there again). And other general fly tying materials. I just like milling around, talking to everyone who's anyone in fly fishing. I don't know which seminars I'm going to yet. The Shorecatch one is a given, but I'm not sure about the others. I'll be there on Saturday with family, and manning the booth on Sunday.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I don't know what I will end up with. It is like being a kid in a candy store. It all looks good. I will take my time and look around and get ideas. will probably be mostly stuff to tie flys with.

Dave good to hear you got a new rod. I bought my 2004 freshwater license yesterday with trout stamp so I am legal again and getting itchy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've never been to a fly fishing show before, and I need tying materials, so I'll probably wind up with a lot of stuff. Mostly I'll be there looking for a deal on a 9wt floating line and one of those lines with the interchangeable tips of different densities in an 8wt. But I'm sure that I'll wind up with a bunch of assorted tying materials too. I'm thinking about some bucktail and hackles in colors that I don't already have, plasti-dip, angel hair and kinky fiber for blending, rattles, and anything else I can find a good deal on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by Sea Monkey:
I've never been to a fly fishing show before, and I need tying materials, so I'll probably wind up with a lot of stuff. Mostly I'll be there looking for a deal on a 9wt floating line and one of those lines with the interchangeable tips of different densities in an 8wt. But I'm sure that I'll wind up with a bunch of assorted tying materials too. I'm thinking about some bucktail and hackles in colors that I don't already have, plasti-dip, angel hair and kinky fiber for blending, rattles, and anything else I can find a good deal on.
Just a word of caution seeing how you havent done a show before this show is huge and everybody is a salesman. bring a notepad with a list of what you want check out the entire show 2 or 3 times before buying anything (unless it is unpassable) then when you are done take a slow cruise through everything once again and buy what you want/need. just telling you because my first show i went all three days blew 1000$ the first day right off the bat about 100 the second day and by the third day when the best deals are i had no loot and still needed alot of stuff. so good luck and see ya there ;)
Rory

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Paul,
Take Rory's advice!!! This show ain't for greenhorns....

Seriously, bring a list of everything you think you'll need, and try to stick to it. Or else you'll be spending your life savings on new doo-dads that, in reality, you won't ever be using. Or maybe you will be using them, I don't know
. It's like being a kid who's been starved of sugar in a candy factory on free sample day (a candy store is just too low key, IMO ;P ). You'll see more stuff there than you can possibly imagine. That's why most people go for more than one day. The free seminars are also a big component that you shouldn't miss out on. You can learn a lot, and most of them are fun, too. Plus you can get the chance to talk one-on-one to the celebrities at the end, if they have time.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Beside Hardware "deals" I will be looking for hard to find materials, quality materials, ect. If I can get it in the tackle shops I frequent I dont spend the money on it..unless its a really cheap price. The show is AMAZING!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts