BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You can't always believe what you read. I hear that there are cod all over and one guy will tell you that and another will tell you they didn't get chit. Thats fishing. I got the skunk on another boat on Sun. I hope to see some stripers soon. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Bottom fishing will get better by the end of march beginning of april.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Most - IF not all Party Boats will wait an extra 20 - 30 mins. if the boat has only a few anglers on it,especially if the boat has 'regulars' that may be running late.AND,most GOOD Captains will come back in a little early or exactly the time they advertise if the fishing is lousy-especially in not so good weather conditions(cold/rain) when the fishing is bad-BUT these same captains will stay out longer if the fishing is good. YOU just had a bad day on the water. I've never been on the Gambler but I know people that use it - Nothing but kudos to the captain and crew.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ive never been on the gambler. was going to go on the 20-50 miles trip once but not enough showed up.

Usually you'll find me on the dauntless.
But i wanna try one of those striper trips on the gambler when im off from school next november and my dad isn't home to go on our boat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You want to catch get your azz in the car and head to Montauk
the cod bite has bin out of control and a tasty treat for the dinner table
A ton of boats sailing daily an the fleet is fishing the same general area with
good size fish mid teens and up !! Fish will be moving on soon so if your into a day of bent rods an all out chaos its a no brainer !!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Its March and everyone knows you not going to put a great catch together, especially blackfish in the north jersey area. I don't know why they're advertising blacks, I guess for the diehards that still want to try for them. Most of the boats are now just trying the deep for ling & cod.

I've been on the Gambler this year and got back at 7pm when we were suppose to be back at 5pm. I also waited a couple times at the dock to see their catch, and they always pulled in between 6:30 - 7pm but these were the the trips that leave thurs,fri,sat,sun for ling,cod,pollock.

Don't believe all the hype going on in Montauk I was there yesterday, I've been out there 4 times this year, some trips were good and some slow. It's not a slaughter everyday. the Montauk bite should be dying down, it usually ends in March sometime but nobody knows exactly when. Make sure you bring your lunch if your going out there too, they will most likely beat the jersey boats prices. If you want cod & haddock wait till april and head to N.H.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ive been out on the dauntless before where we have fished until 430-5 ish. But it was only jigging herring outside the inlet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Gambler is absolutely one of the great head boats in NJ. Like others said, this isn't the time to go blackfishing. Look aroung for blackfish repots from the last month. Nobody is catching any, on any boat. The water is just too cold. I can personally attest to the Gamblers willingness to come back late if a late bite develops, but I doubt most guys wanted to stay out and extend a crappy day's fishing. And as far as the pool, a pout is considered a junk fish. The pout, silver eels, dogfish, sea ravens, ect. never count on a pool. There is a sign in the galley that lists eligible species for each type of trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.