BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a computer at the shore, so this report is dated but here it is anyway. Fished the back waters behind WW and Stone Harbor from Friday-Monday.

Friday- Fished a spot given to us by Chunking last year. Dropped a ton of bellies and tossed Storm lures around the banks. The bellies produced a bunch of sand sharks, including the absolute biggest one I've ever seen. We wanted to take a picture, but it snapped the leader at the boat. This guy was huge, and I was unable to grab him and take him out of the water with one hand. Anyone know how big they can get, cause I swear this was a record! Caught 3 large blues to round out the day.

Saturday- Fished the same area and came out of it with nothing but a couple sharks...fairly big but still a waste of bellies! Moved to Hereford and managed 2 blues. Fished from about 8am till 11am.

Sunday- Flyfished Hereford inlet from my boat. Saw a few sodbankers pull in some blues, but I got nada. Fished poppers and decievers and only got one bite on a popper (fished 6am to 8:30am)

Monday- Fished with shiners,squid, and bluefish as bait with my 3 year old daughter. Fished the north side of the freebridge. I got skunked but my daughter managed a 3 foot shark, and a skate. They were her first fish ever so needless to say I'm still smiling over the whole trip. When she saw the shark she started yelling to a boat next to us "It's so beautiful!" Then she told me to put it in the boat and chop it's head off. I laughed for a bit and tossed it back.

Long report, but it covers a few days. And, in keeping with the BB code, I post the bad reports along with the good. For productivity this is certainly on the bad side. For fun Monday was my best day ever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the report Reckoning. I fish Hereford often too. I saw a lot of boats in the Grassy sound area. Are they biting there ??

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
WHEN YOU ARE CATCHING A LOT OF SHARKS MOVE AWAY FROM THE INLET AREA MAYBE A FEW MILES.I HAVE NOT CAUGHT WHILE FLOUNDER FISHING AND HAVE NOT HEARD OF A LOT BEHIND THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Reckoning my 6yr old daughter is the same way.Poking the fishes eye,tongue...."cut it open and see what it ate".diffenitly her fathers daughter :eek: But no matter what the species the first words are "oh how beatiful it is" wow it blows mw away every time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When she caught that first shark and got really excited it made my weekend, and quite honestly made me take a look at my approach to fishing. I think I sometimes lose the thrill of fighting a fish because I'm too geared toward a particular species. I'm definately going to remember this for the rest of my life, and my daughter is bothering me to take her back to the shore so we can go fishing again together....and she wants her own rod and boat. I'm trying to talk her into just using my boat until she's a bit older!

No Tee Time, I fished back in the grassy sound area over the weekend as well, and it was thick with shark. No flounder, and a couple of blues. It'll pick up soon, but as of right now it's pretty tough battling through the shark. In retrospect I should have continued deeper into the back to get away from them. There are some decent holes in the flats but I didn't try them this time.

[ 06-02-2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: The Reckoning ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts